• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Re: Suggestions for a reference document

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jan 20, 2011, 13:18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

mickw

:o

Did anyone else hear that whooshing sound  :oops:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

How about rather then just one post with all the links,
create another sub cat under astronomy called Useful documents & links that is locked.
and then just move/copy all the useful links that appear into that.

Mac.

Mac

Problem is to create an article you either need to be a registered user (not too sure how hard that is might be as simple as just registering)
or get them to create the document themselves and then edit it.

worth a look though.

Mac

mickw

PhilB

It's a nice idea and I hate to be a wet blanket, but as time passes links may change or die completely. If not checked now and again we might end up with a list of links many of which don't work. Checking this list could become quite a job.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

mickw

Better to find that a link's broke by looking at one post than to spend hours finding the original post

PhilB

Or to not find it at all due to your search parameters being slightly off.

That's true.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

Quote from: PhilB on Jan 20, 2011, 17:20:09Checking this list could become quite a job.

Nothing new there. Links die for all sorts of reasons. I was rather hoping that instead of just posting a link, folks would take a little time to write a short paragraph about the thing they're linking to. That way, if the link dies, there's a vague hint as to what it was about, and that might help in re-discovering it if it's merely moved...

Mac

In this day and age, as web space storage is very cheep is it not worth
saving the web pages them selves, or even just printing them as pdf's
then hosting the pdf's ourselves,

again this comes down to fair usage, with regard to copyright.

Mac.

RobertM

You mean one single post with sections that we all update?

Rick

Quote from: RobertM on Jan 20, 2011, 19:19:49
You mean one single post with sections that we all update?

I think it'd be better to make a reply in the "Links to useful reference documents" thread in which you give a brief description of the document and a link to it, rather than a link to the thread in which it was mentioned...

Rocket Pooch

Rick

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Jan 21, 2011, 12:03:21
Could always have that on a Wiki
Yeah, but we've got a forum and we don't have a wiki, and the forum's easy to use, and a wiki would be a whole lot more work...

Rocket Pooch

I can setup a wiki, anyone interested?