• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My First DSO - M13

Started by JohnP, May 22, 2004, 20:34:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Thanks to Chris who loaned me his SAC-8 - I captured my first DSO object with my Tal-2m last night. It was a challenge itself just finding it without goto & only being able to see updates every few secs on my laptop. Anyhow, attached is result - Single image SAC-8 5 secs exposure about 50% gain. I'm sure you could get a lot more with longer exposure or higher gain or stacking multiples (my polar alignment wasn't very good. Anyhow, I'm really pleased - it was great when M13 just popped up on the laptop for the first time.

Thks again for the loan of the camera & laptop Chris.

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

:smile: good eh!  You're now hooked and you will become a vampire in a couple of years, just to ensure you can stay up all night.

Great details, and thumbs up for finding the hard way.

Ian

excellent work, especially for a single image. I look forward to seeing more.

Whitters

Nice one John, rather than worry about longer single exposures try taking several at the longest you can without trailing then stack them.

JohnP

Thks Ian & Paul - I appreciate the comments & advice - I might give it another try this evening & also M57 if I can find it...? The sensitivity of Chris's SAC-8 is amazing. I'm halfway through modifying my TouCam Pro for LE & so it'll be good to compare - Assuming I don't destroy the Toucam with my soldering iron.

Cheers,  John

Whitters

Best of luck with the Toucam, my LE Toucam is still imitating a spider on Ians work bench, where I left it a year and a half ago.

Mike

...and my attempt is in a bag waiting to be rescued. If anyone wants it to revive it then you can have it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I did threaten to look at it. Bring it on Thursday and I'll put it in the Morgue next to Pauls.

I think I'll just go off and read Herbert West, Camera Reanimator.....