• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Stationery Jupiter?

Started by spendrey, May 05, 2004, 19:34:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

I subscribe to a daily astronomical events update from thenakedsky.com. Today's one however left me a bit confused, it says:

The following events are scheduled for today, 5/5:

1) 9:00 AM Jupiter is stationery

What does it mean by Jupiter being stationery?

Rick

It means that, as seen from the Earth, Jupiter will appear not to move against the background stars. It happens when the apparent motion of Jupiter against the background stars caused by the Earth's movement through space and the actual motion of Jupiter cancel out. Briefly. Very shortly the effects of one will overtake the effects of the other.

spendrey

Is that similar to when we see the retrograde motion of Mars when the earth's orbit 'laps' it and it's motion appears to go backwards across the sky?

Rick

Exactly. Well, the principle's the same. The actual numbers are different...

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-05-05 13:15 ]

Ian

I thought you meant that Jupiter is comprised of envelopes, writing paper and bic biros? :wink:

Rocket Pooch

did you know there's a planet where all the lost biro's go to live.  I wonder if its near Jupiter?

Ian

is that the same place all the empty ones go. Although thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen an empty one. Do they make ink out thin air when they're not being used?

Mike

Empty biros are eaten by baby pigeons.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan