• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Nightmare night last night

Started by Fay, Oct 24, 2010, 10:59:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I thought I would set the EQ5 up on the patio, to keep out of the mud etc. Sky did not clear until about 10.30. I could not see many stars, for alignment, because of the moon, I had decided to try out EQMOD, as the handset only offered obscure stars. Next doors trees obscured my eastern view, so had to guess at Capella, between the branches. The sky looks so much different from another perspective.

Could not get EQMOD to work, so reverted to handset, which suddenly stopped working. I tried it about a dozen times to no avail. Suddenly heard it click & it was ok. PHD could not settle, stars not moving enough, i was on the cusp of a merdian flip, I am thinking, as was in Cass. Kept trying EQMOD could not get it to work.Went in around 1pm, dejected, but at least the adaptors did not stick, and they came off ok, today.

Last week a new one I had just bought, stuck firm, took an age to get it off, Have gone over all threads with a pencil.

Have sorted EQMOD in the kitchen, today, I must confirm the port before plugging in anything else. 

Oh well better luck tonight, I hope, & an earlier start
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

I've recently converted to EQMod and, so far, haven't had too much trouble with it. On the one occasion that I got the ports confused I simply ran EQASCOM Toolbox and, from "setup" I selected "Driver Setup" , then input the "timeout", "retry" and "baud" rates, clicked the binocular button and the system found the port quick as you like. I've had a couple of other problems but, to-date, the cause of these has always been me  :roll:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein