• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon phase at DSC and/or Imaging Session

Started by mickw, Sep 15, 2010, 18:20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

As we are now generally having a DSC every month there will be a clash of dates around New Moon time for both the above events.

As the Imaging Sessions are valuable not just for learning techniques etc. they are also good for those who can't travel or camp in a field somewhere (usually cold and/or wet), but can get involved with imaging.

Assuming the Imaging Sessions will continue, I suggest that we continue to alternate between events at the New Moon as happens at the moment.
When DSC and Imaging Session fall during the same month, hold the DSC the week before or after....................

Preferences ?   Comments ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Awkward, but I find that I get less interference if I stay up late. Put me down for Moon first and darker skies later   :lol:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

you need to add week either side, to the results.

MarkS

I agree with Mac - one event just before New Moon; the other just after.

Mark

Rick

...and don't be afraid to push the normal observing evening into moonlit territory; after all, the Moon is one celestial object not washed out by Orpington's light pollution. ;)

Carole

If we changed the Imaging session to a different day of the week then it would not clash with DSC. 

I know originally Friday was probably chosen so that people could stay up late imaging, but in practice, how many times has that actually happened?

mickw

I would not want to have the Imaging Session moved away from New Moon time, but I don't host the Imaging Session.

It really should be up to the Host to decide what actual day is suitable.

Quotenormal observing evening into moonlit territory
Good point Rick - It's never cloudy on a full moon  :lol:

The Thing

Observing sessions are Tuesdays, DSC's Friday to Monday. Not much of a clash except that if you've been to a DSC you need a couple of days to recover which means those who DSC are less likely to observe as well. Wednesdays might be better if the pub High Elms is available.

Rick

Quote from: mickw on Sep 16, 2010, 09:12:18
I would not want to have the Imaging Session moved away from New Moon time, but I don't host the Imaging Session.
Do imaging sessions last all night? If the Moon isn't rising 'til after midnight (say) then it's not going to cause too much trouble for something that's wrapped up by midnight.

Quote from: The Thing on Sep 16, 2010, 09:18:03
Observing sessions are Tuesdays, DSC's Friday to Monday. Not much of a clash except that if you've been to a DSC you need a couple of days to recover which means those who DSC are less likely to observe as well. Wednesdays might be better if the pub High Elms is available.

It's probably better not to have an observing session on the Tuesday right after a DSC weekend, or in the same week as an OAS Thursday meeting.

Quote from: mickw on Sep 16, 2010, 09:12:18
Good point Rick - It's never cloudy on a full moon  :lol:

I'll go a step further, and say that observing evenings should not be tied so close to new moon. It is a good idea to have some observing evenings when the Moon's a few days either side of first quarter.

It's all going to be a juggling game, though, especially with a DSC every month, and I'm guessing the calendar wants the dates soon, too.

mickw

Quoteand I'm guessing the calendar wants the dates soon, too

:o

Doh !

Mac

Just a thought, when we went to QUAGMIRE COMMON :evil: for the mud bath festival DSC
that was a week after the new moon, and the light polution from the moon was a hindrance.

I would personally like to see the DSC kept to the new moon, and the imaging sessions moved,
as Rick said the moon is an object to actually image,

Where as DSC is for the dark skies.

Mac.

PhilB

We do seem to be trying to get a quart into a pint pot here. Perhaps we need to decide quite clearly what each session should be for. I don't mean strictly regimented, but some guide lines as to what each event is designed to achieve. This might then give us a firmer grasp as to what should go where.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

Here's my take:

Observing Evenings: Suitable for anyone, and covering as much variety as possible (given the constraints of the site).

Imaging Sessions: Folks who want to learn about imaging. Some emphasis on fainter objects, but would hopefully include imaging planets when they're visible, and might consider imaging the Moon once in a while.

Deep Sky Camp: Folks (not just imagers) who want to observe from a really dark site. Needs to happen close to New Moon.

If there's one of each every month then the calendar could get rather crowded.

Mike

The Imaging Sessions can quite easily be held at pretty much any Friday as they are designed for teaching imaging and so top quality images is not essential on the rare occasions we do get to go out in the garden and actually image.

To be honest with you, I'm kind of getting fed up with being pretty much the only person to hold the imaging sessions. I know Carole and Robert have kindly done a session at their houses, but it was hoped that people would take it in turns, or at least hold a few more in alternate locations. In the 3 or 4 years it's been running that has only ever happened twice. So, unless other people are willing to help out and host it at their houses from time to time I may change the date to be quarterly.

This date can easily be before or after DSC if it clashes. The moon and planets can be imaged easily enough with the moon present and it's usually cloudy anyway so a talk or little workshop can take place instead.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Sep 17, 2010, 07:47:34
The moon and planets can be imaged easily enough with the moon present.

I would nave thought that the moon being present would have been a necessity anyway.  :cheesy:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson