• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter Animation - The Sequel!

Started by MarkS, Sep 05, 2010, 16:48:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is the final version - it covers 4.75 hours from Friday 3 Sep 22:00UT onwards - 80 frames in total.
The varying quality of the individual frames is wholly due to variations in tranparency and seeing.

Here is one of the better frames:

It's a 3.3Mbyte download:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2010/jupanimation3sep2010v2.gif

The surface detail on Ganymede is genuine and is similar to Pete Lawrence's image taken the same night:
http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50183.0

Enjoy!

Mark

PhilB

That's a seriously nice animation, Mark. Unlike a number of attempts I've seen, the planet does not sway or wobble around. It would be nice to see some of the best frames as stills and larger, especially those that show the detail on Ganymede. The only question I would ask is why Jupiter seems to have reversed it's rotation? 
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: PhilB
The only question I would ask is why Jupiter seems to have reversed it's rotation? 

The diagonal on the scope flips Jupiter over - I forgot to flip it back in the first animation but I did flip it back for the second one.

PhilB

I thought it would turn out to be a silly question, but I assumed that you had the camera directly on the back of the 'scope.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

The detail in that is amazing. You can even see some detail on the moon!!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I'm extremely pleased with it - I even sent it off to APOD but I'm not very hopeful of a response.

For my next trick I need 2 successive clear nights with good seeing then I can cover the whole surface of Jupiter and do an animation of one complete rotation (10 hours) - hoping of course that the essential features don't change too much between one night and the next.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

very nice, I guess it kinda pointless sending this to a magazine  :o

The Thing

Sky at Night could put it on their CD...  :idea:

It's only a matter of time until there is active paper available for this sort of thing. It would be a bit like in Harry Potter.

mickw

A magazine could put one frame on each page then you just "flick" the corners  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Superb Mark, does seem to be detail on the moon!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Just looking at the APOD and the link for your starship asterisk.
and noting that todays APOD is on that website

Why dont you submit your Jupiter animation to the APOD website?
Or have you already done that and are just waiting for the announcement ;)

Mac

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
Why dont you submit your Jupiter animation to the APOD website?

I did - it ended up on Starship Asterisk - it's on the "Recent Submissions: 2010 September 11-13" thread.

That's how I found out about Starship Asterisk ;-)

Mac

so there's still hope that it will appear then.

Well fingers crossed.