• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Off Axis Guider or Guidescope

Started by Ian, Aug 19, 2010, 19:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

for about a ton, I can either buy an OAG or a side by side bar.

Question is, which is the best option if I only go for one?

Assume I have something like a QHY5 and an ED80 :)

Rocket Pooch

OAG I don't use my bar any more, and only one dew strip, one scope etc.

Mike

I would agree with that. I find I get better results piggybacking than using a bar personally.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

was wondering how easy it is to find a bright enough guide star. Do you have to do much searching and re-framing Chris?

Like the avatar by the way. Looks like a DSC project suggestion.

Rocket Pooch

since i got the qhy6 i have not had to find a guide star a 1 second exposure gets me a mag 18 guide star and there are a few of them about, also i use AA and it finds a guide star only 100adu above the background noise.

RobertM

Ian,

I would add that if you're using a field flattener/reducer where back focus distance is limited then you'll need to check that the required spacing can still be achieved.  If it can then you'll need the right spacers to make up the distance.

Another option is a second hand 50mm finderscope converted to a guider with the QHY6.  That would be very light weight and could sit on your scope rings.

Whatever you do I'd suggest avoiding a side by side bar if you can.

Hope that helps
Robert

Ian

Now that's a thought robert... hmm, I hope google will be able to cope with the load...

MarkS

Quote from: Ian
Now that's a thought robert... hmm, I hope google will be able to cope with the load...

Google?

Ian

Google guiding tm

Nope, just googling for options, costs results etc.

Although I've established that it's cheaper to download a hubble image and call it my own. I don't think anyone else has considered doing that...

Rocket Pooch

Ian

Chris, you've clearly been on the bench too long.   :cheesy:

The Thing

I did the 50mm finderscope/guidescope thing with my QHY5. Very successful as my LX90 tracks much better with less excess weight. Just ask PHD to select a guide star...
Quote from: Duncan on Jul 03, 2010, 14:10:26