• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Black screen & shut down

Started by Delphine, Jun 17, 2010, 07:34:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Hi

I have just come back from holiday and was trying to load my photos when I got the black screen of death.  I had numerous shut downs and recoveries initiated by my computer but eventually loaded the pics yesterday.  Now this morning when I tried to look at them and delete some the same thing happened.  Is this likely to be caused by my photos of is there a virus around?  My hubby got the computer first when we got back and was straight onto the internet but says it didn't happen to him.

Is my hard drive failing?

I have Windows Vista and AVG anti virus.

Cheers
Delphine

doug

I have Windows Vista and the AVG anti-virus as well, Delphine, but that has never happend on my laptop.  Surely, one of our computer experts will be able to help with the problem.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

Ah Vista - There's ya problem............................

Sorry, couldn't resist it  ;)

What did dear sweet hubby actually do on the internet ?
Download something ?
Windows update ?

Do you get the Welcome screen or Vista loading screen before it dies ?
Do you still hear the PC fan with the black screen or does it just shut down ?

Wishful thinking, but it's possible you have a loose or dirty connection on the power leads or video lead, try unplugging both ends of all leads and plug them back in again.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Delphine

Hi Mick

Many thanks for replying so promptly. 
It loads normally and I get the welcome screen - then after about 3 or 4 mins it dies.  I was going to check it again after reading your message but hubby got there first! so I don't know whether the fan was working while it happened.  He was just saying that it doesn't happen to him and then it did!   The only thing I have managed to deduce so far is that happens willy nilly whether we are on the internet or working with images offline so presumably that means there is something bad wrong with the computer itself. 

I will check all the leads as you suggest.

Cheers Delphine

Mac

Is this on battery power? or mains?

If its battery powered I suggest the battery is on its way out.
Failing that it could be anything.

try pressing Function key 8 when you turn on the PC on.
When you get to the menu select safe mode let it boot and see if the same thing happens.
If it doesn't, then its something thats loading with windows normally.

If it still does, then i would suspect something more yucky. possible virus or maleware. or even worse your operating system

Mac

Carole

Oh dear Delphine, I seem to recall you having problems with your last one and only bought this one new not too long ago.

Carole

Delphine

Hi Mac

I tried your suggestions with F8 and selecting safe mode but it hasn't solved the problem.  I also did a system restore reverting it to before I went on holiday because it was allright then.  That didn't work either.  How do I tell if it is a virus or the operating system?  Can it be solved by getting rid of Vista and loading XP?

Cheers Delphine

Hi Carole

My computer is about 18 months old - my other one was about 6 years old before it packed in and I had no trouble with it at all in that time.  I blame Vista .

Mike

The fact it is the bug riddled Vista may be half the probolem. But if after a system restore it is the same is sounds more like some kind of hardware failure to me. Is this a desktop or laptop?

It could be overheating due to blocked heatsinks, a common problem in laptops. If so it would need opening up and vacuuming out.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

Hi Mike

It is a desktop.  I will open it up and have a look.

cheers Delphine

Delphine

I am back on my desktop again - I wonder for how long!   I took the back off and couldn't see any loose connections or dust particularly.  However I vacuumed it and now it seems OK.  Or perhaps a goods night's rest has sorted it out!

Thanks to all for the advice. 

Cheers
Delphine