• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 7 starter.

Started by Mac, Jun 09, 2010, 18:06:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Having purchased a new notebook for work. It came with Windows 7 Starter.
What a huge pile of poo.
Having set up the network adapter to access my own network, it decided that I didn't have an access to the internet.
First of all it allowed me access to the network. (other PC's & raid storage disks)
it then decided that i didnt have enough security privileges  to access my own network. and then refused me access to my own network.

Having spent 3 hours trying to fix this. I had to do a complete reinstall.
Hurah, it now works, it say i now have an internet connection, (nothing what so ever is different).

Now this was fixed off to bed.

Day 2 (today)
windows 7 decided again that my network did not have internet access........................................ :boom:

after swearing loudly at it. Reinstall number 2........   (Nothing else has been touched on a completely clean install).

Hurah. working again.   Hmmmmmmmm Network adapter now only wants to connect at 10Meg and not 100M.

Currently setting up a bootable usb stick with XP on it.

One other thing. Why did microsoft stop you from changing the background. Come on Guys, get real.

Mac. :cry: :boom:

NT4 (The best)
win 2000 next
XP Pro Very Good
Vista Totally Crap
Win 7 Even worse then Totally crap.

Mike

How on earth can you say NT4 was the best? Did you ever try installing peripherals on NT4 ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I don't know why they have to keep buggering around with something that works perfectly well - XP.

OK add a few new things, but if it aint broke, then don't fix it!!!

They introduced us at work today to Windows 7 and all the functionalities we normally use are completely hidden and have spent half the day trying to find out how to do things.  Yet there is a load of useless stuff that we never use quite prominently displayed.

Grrrrr

Mac

QuoteHow on earth can you say NT4 was the best? Did you ever try installing peripherals on NT4 ?

Yup.

Ok that was tricky. but i still think it was one of the best / stable platforms.

Mike

Have you tried a Mac Mac ?  ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Quote from: Mac on Jun 09, 2010, 19:00:49
Yup.
Ok that was tricky. but i still think it was one of the best / stable platforms.

And everything since win 2000 has, supposedly been based on NT. Kinda begs the question, why the hell did they ruin it?

Of course you'd expect a certain amount of change in an OS in order to take advantage of changes in hardware. Trouble is there seems to be a lot of reinventing the wheel going on here which appears to be aimed solely at bringing in more revenue (" you've got what OS, sir? Oh, I'm sorry we stopped supporting THAT ages ago..." )

If you don't want to go for a Mac, why don't you set up a machine to duel boot with windows for when the availability of software gives you no choice and a Linux Distro for when windows isn't required?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

QuoteHave you tried a Mac Mac

Funny you should say that.
At the moment I'm just installing XP from a usb stick (No dvd on the notebook).

Once i've got that installed and all the drivers. Im going to do a hyperos and install something else as well.

I've also just copied over the intel version of
Mac OS X 10.4.8
Not too sure if it will work with the atom chip, but fingers crossed it will

I've also got a full version of Red hat Linux, before they started to charge for it. I can try as well.

Mac.

Ian

stop messing around and put Ubuntu on it.

Mike

Try OpenSolaris, it's really nice.

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Have you tried a Mac Mac ?  ;)

Apple sell a little rainproof cover for their computers, guess what they call it ;-) - so, if you're taking your computer out in the rain you'll need a Mac Mac, Mac.

Ian

let's not mention that while standing outside an american fast food restaurant in Edinburgh.

Tony G

Quote from: Ian on Jun 09, 2010, 23:38:24
let's not mention that while standing outside an american fast food restaurant in Edinburgh.

You lost me there Ian

Mac mac, Mac, Mac, Burger King. :-?

A confused Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Mac

Hurah. Windows 7 has finally crashed.
I had a nice BSOD and now it wont boot.
It wont even goto the recovery partition.

its very polite,

Looks like xp's going on permanently. Just got to sus out how to get it on to the hard disk.
Without taking the disk out.

:-?

PhilB

Quote from: Mac on Jun 11, 2010, 17:15:03its very polite..

Oh, that's all right then  :evil:

Last I heard Microsoft was going to continue support for XP until 2014. This being the case, I see no great need to rush into a Windows 7 upgrade.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein