• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Adware

Started by Rocket Pooch, May 23, 2010, 09:56:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Here we gop any suggestions, I have adware on my PC, SpyHunter detects the cookies it has created, PCTools deletes some stuff and The Shield finds nothing,

The symptoms are broser searches re-directing.

The adware and maleware are:

atlas.dmt
ad.yeildmanager.com

Bloody doing my head in, does anyone know of any freeware thats of any use in getting rid of these.

Chris

Rose

Morning Chris.

I had a real nasty annoying crud that appeared on my laptop.  I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-malware free programme and it has been VERY VERY useful to delete and remove shit like this.

Give it a try.

Doug.
Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.
From the Navajo.

RobertM

I'd agree with Rose.  Malwarebytes seems to reach the rubbish that everything else misses, even when XP looks a gonner.

Robert

Mike

Have you tried Panda Cloud?

Or Spybot.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I tried Malwarebot, did not even find it, I'll try spybot.

mickw

I tried Malwarebyte and it caught 4 trojans and 3 pieces of spyware.

My Avanquest Systemsuite didn't find bugger all  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

check your hosts file the redirection might be hidden in there.

It one place i normally forget about.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok this is fun, none of the commercial products found it, I used Microsofts online scanner and its located Alureon.H this was release in April this year.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Virus%3aWin32%2fAlureon.H&redir=true

If you want additional info, look at it and you will see its a git to remove, if you have a Vista disk or backup files, which I don't.

Fun fun fun.  Anyway, my Laptop is not usable, but I will not be using any passwords on it until I can get rid of this virus.

If you want to run a full service scan go to here, http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/sandbox/default_scan.htm you may be suprised....

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Well that was fun, I've fixed it.

The thing with this set of viruses is you do not know what you have got till you have it and there was only 1 piece of software which identified it. 

RobertM

That was a nasty one!

The main thing that gets me is the amount of time wasted getting rid of the buggers.

<soapbox>Hackers should be shot on sight! on second thoughts death by a thousand cuts would be better :evil:</soapbox>

There's a thought for a new html tag!

Mac

Quote<soapbox>Hackers should be shot on sight! on second thoughts death by a thousand cuts would be better </soapbox>
Hackers. :o nooooo
Virus writers, yesss 

we need hackers to keep all the computer systems on their toes.

Without them people will be lead to believe that computer systems are secure. (i.e banks)
If there were no hackers, banks would be a field day for online fraud, because of the hackers, banks have some of the most secure systems.
Plus the fact they never tell anyone about it anyway. Would you bank with anyone who admits they are constantly being hacked??

The most secure computer is one that is off.

[highhorse]Maybe microsoft should sort out their systems first.[/highhorse]

Mac.

Rocket Pooch

Quote<soapbox>Hackers should be shot on sight! on second thoughts death by a thousand cuts would be better </soapbox>

[highhorse]Maybe microsoft should sort out their systems first.[/highhorse]

[/quote]

It is a myth that Apple and other systems are free from viruses, all the people at work were all upsetty because thier ickle iPhones were buggered by an iPhone virus.  Also VAX & Apple systems were the 1st to get viruses as well.

Lets all not blame Microsoft for everything.....

But I agree with Robert, shoot them allllllll...

Rocket Pooch

Wohoooooo my Laptop is definately back to normal...