• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1396 - Elephant Trunk Nebula at DSC

Started by MarkS, May 16, 2010, 21:18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The Elephant Trunk Nebula taken on Saturday night (15 May) at DSC.

This was fairly low in a pretty milky sky.  High level clouds coming over, meant that only 24 exposures of 36 were usable.

I had the same problem with the camera not accurately orientated on the focusing tube, so the stars at the top are quite blurry.  

Details:
H-alpha modded Canon EOS 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED at F/2.8 with Astronomik CLS filter
24 x 5minute exposures
Stacked, asinh range compression and 2/3 scaling in IRIS

Small version here:

Bigger version is here:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/elephant15052010.jpg

Carole

Lovely to see a wide field of the Elephant's trunk, and so much detail. 
Fabulous image Mark.

Carole

RobertM

I knew that was going to be good when I saw one of the raw subs on your laptop screen... what a great result !

To be picky the brighter stars look very saturated but the nebulosity looks fantastic.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Thanks for your comments!

Robert - you're right about the star saturation - I'll re-check this to see if the subs were also saturated.

I've also noticed a bluish haze (i.e. gradient) towards the left - I'll try to remove it.

As for collimation - I really need to get out for an evening to do some further experiments and get this spot on.  I just didn't get time last month.

Mark

Mike

Really nice image Mark. Especially considering the conditions.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

JohnP

Hi Mark,

That image looks brilliant to me - the best yet out of your Tak - You must be chuffed. I really like the wide FOV & the colours look spot on. Also even though you took it in less than ideal conditions the image has a really natural feel to it - not too overprocessed....

Very good,  John

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Can you stencil 'Hubble II' on that banana thingy, it's awesome. Great image.

RobertM

Being picky I think the colour balance of the stars is slightly too red but it's still a stunning result.

Robert