• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - Friday 14th to Monday 17th May

Started by Mike, Apr 20, 2010, 07:43:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

So Nigel. What happened to you coming down yesterday?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well I think Blacklands is a no goer for any future DSC's. On the way out I stopped to pay and was charged the exorbitant sum of £34 for 2 nights!! Who do they think they are kidding? For a few quid more I could stay in a Travel Inn and get breakfast in the morning. They have seriously hiked their prices up since last time, and i'd like to know why as the facilities are the same old mediocre ones they've always had.

Start looking for a new campsite chaps !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Not that bad for one man running off batteries, though.

I just checked Kelling Heaths's tarifs.  You would have paid the same there - £17.25/night for a pitch with electrics in May.   Plus, their facilities are fantastic. But that gets ramped up to £31 for bank hols and Jul/Aug.

Mike

That's my point, the facilities are not fantastic and yet they've put their prices up by about £6 per night. They are also encouraging more families to go there. The fires, Khoom Fay's and noisy kids were all pissing me off too. At Kelling Heath you are guaranteed an astronomer friendly environment and hence the increased fare.

Carole

Quote£17.25/night for a pitch with electrics in May
these are the normal prices, they do a cheaper price for the Astronomy weeks as they know they will get lots of bookings, of £12 per night (all in). Although I take your point comparing it to normal camp prices.

Carole

MarkS

Back to Tuesnoad then! :cheesy:

Cheap, dark sky, no noisy kids, no families, no Khoom Fays, no annoying lights, but no facilities :-(

RobertM

There's always a problem isn't there.  If we want good facilities during the warmer months then we get all the associated extras like kids families bright lights etc, it's part of the deal.  We can't blame the owners for not trying to make more money however unfriendly it is to us.  I do agree though £17.50 is incredibly steep considering the shabby secondhand toilet blocks and general facilities (or lack of), there is simply no comparison to Kelling.

I was talking to these guys last year and they were going to have camping facilities but I'm not sure how far they got.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Starborough_Farm_34__Telescope_Project.html

Could be a viable alternative if they've got their act together, I'll give them a ring later to find out how far they got.

Robert

Ian

I wonder if we should make a formal approach as a society? Maybe a discussion for behind the scenes?

Mike

I think for the next uDSC we should try out alternative locations. Perhaps this could be one of them.

Rocket Pooch

Agreed £32 when I checked out and I didn't declare the small one.  So its too much.

Shall we do Tuesnode for the next one?  I don't think we will find a venue quickly.

Mike

See the other thread re: campsites. We should find one for the June uDSC. If not we can do Tuesnoad.

mickw

I only paid £10.50 per night as shown in their website
http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/blacklands-farm-campsite-information.html

The prices are per person per night plus electric hook up - which is a relatively new addition to our costs.

What were couples charged at Kelling Heath
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

There is no price for couples. it is £6.50 per person (£7.50 in the 'high season') + £4 per night for electricity (piss take) plus extras (£8 per night for a gazebo!! WTF!!)

mickw

I meant price per couple at Kelling, that would give you a comparison.

Everyone thought the price was fine when we started going there after Woodlands and it has only gone up £1 for electricity and £1 per person.

A gazebo can take up as much room as another tent.
The amount of room we take up including blocking direct access to toilets, I don't think we have any cause for complaint.

Blacklands is not a bad deal.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I have never paid more than £14 per night, including electric, at any campsite before. Blacklands is now £17 per night. You can stay at a Travellodge for £19 per night and get breakfast in the morning.