• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Chelsfield!

Started by smuudge, Mar 12, 2010, 22:33:05

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Welcome Ben,

Don't let talk of Chocolate Fireguards and Candyfloss Condoms put you off,  there are some normal people in the society ... I think.  No, hang on, that's not right - I was told there were some normal people but I haven't actually come across any yet  :-?  Well, whatever,  a very warm welcome to the society forum and I look forward to seeing you at one of the meetings or events.

It looks like your getting some good advice.  The only thing I would add is whatever you do don't buy a telescope on a whim.

Robert

smuudge

Hello everyone and thanks for the feedback!

I have been doing some more research on scopes over the week and yes i can now see that £250 for a motorized scope is a bit tight.

The scope i keep coming back to is the Celestron 130SLT reflector. Its slightly over my budget (just over 300) but appears to have favourable reviews compared to the other entry level motorised units.

http://www.crazycameras.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=16063&aff_code=gg

See the link below, im guessing all of these are possibilities along with the Celestron above (the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan Telescope) appears to be very similar to the Celestron 130 but slightly cheaper?!.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/copy_of_Entry_Level_Computerised_Telescopes.html

The main question i have is do go for a refractor, Cassegrain or reflector scope as above, i wonder which i will benefit from most as a beginner!

Thanks all!
Ben

PS: They have just started to install those damned 'white street lights' around Chelsfield. Is this a borough wide installation on every street does any body know?

Celeston 130SLT, Nikon D3100

MarkS

The Celestron 130SLT was my first scope and the optics are very good.  The computerised "Go To" worked flawlessly for me and introduced me to the night sky (I was a complete novice 3 years ago). The mount is not exactly sturdy but any vibrations settle down after a second or two.  The 5 inch aperture is enough to give good excellent planetary and lunar views with a powerful eyepiece. There are certainly better scopes out there, but in terms of overall value for money Newtonians in general, and this one in particular, are difficult to beat.

It even got me hooked on astrophotography - the pictures below were taken with that very scope:  

More at: http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/earlierimages.html

Hope that helps.

Mark

Carole

Well that sounds like a good recommendation Mark especially coming from you
QuoteI was a complete novice 3 years ago
I can't believe it, especially with what you are doing now!!!!!

Ben, as a beginner I think a reflector or cassegrain will be best as the magnification is better for the price.  These will give you nice views of the Moon and planets and some brighter deep sky objects.  You can't really see much of the DSOs anyway which is why so many of us got hooked on long exposure imaging which is really the only way to "see" them.  I now have a refractor for DS imaging and the views of the planets are extremely disappointing.  Luckily I did not get rid of my ETX so I have one scope for imaging and one for observing. 

If you're still in doubt, I think the best thing would be to actually go and have a look through a a few telescopes (if we ever get any clear skies)!!!!

Come along to our monthly meeting next week.  Introduce yourself and have a chat with various people about what would be best. 

Carole

smuudge

Hi Mark, WOW, those pictures are fantastic and some of them with a point and click! I think im sold on your pictures (although i appreciate this takes time to finesse)

The Celestron sounds like a great introduction to astronomy so i will aim to line the purchase up within the next few weeks. Mark do you have any recommondations on extras i should purchase when i get the scope (barlow eye piece etc)

Many thanks for everyone's help and i hope to contribute to the forum in the future! Cheers Ben.
Celeston 130SLT, Nikon D3100