• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

stairs farm

Started by mickw, Feb 19, 2010, 15:09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Great photos Marks. It's nice to have a photo of oneself in action (as it were).

Despite the conditions on the ground and aided by weird French and ginger stuff we had a hoot.  I too have a glow from sitting out in the sun on Saturday. My chair only sank 3 inches while we had wine and crisps. We were so lucky to have had two crystal clear nights, the odds against it must have been enormous (but not as big as  the ruts and potholes).

Today's activity is trying to dry the tent and scrape off the embedded molehills. Nobody has mentioned the blooming molehills, nasty hard obstacles at -7.

MarkS

Oh yes - the wet molehills!  They froze into concrete-like lumps at -7C  -  great for tripping over!

Carole

Thanks for your kind words Mark, I must admit I was feeling very guilty and embarrassed about the condition of the field, but as you say, the skies were good (after the light went out), and probably anywhere would have been very boggy just at this moment in time.  I think if the society had visited at a dryer time of the year there would have been very different comments.

That being said, I now regret not having gone down there to check when the Owner told Mike it was marshy in places, but never dreamt it would be as bad as it actually turned out to be. 

Carole

Fay

I think the only saving grace, was, that there was no one else in the field, except for the caravan, but they were ok.

If there had been more people, we would not have been able to park on the cinder paths.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Fay I am going to PM you, let me know if you didn't get the E mail as I know sometimes you don;t get them.

Carole

MarkS

Here's a better version of The Thing.
- BTW who was it?  I honestly don't remember!

Fay

That's the picture I meant, Mark. The original "thing" was James Arness. Of course the latest version was entirely different

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Feb 22, 2010, 20:17:24.....Owner told Mike it was marshy in places.....

The owner never did reply to my email regarding the conditions and that not everyone had stayed, etc. So it is clear to me they do not care about 'customer service' but just want a fast buck.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Oh did not know it was Duncan, a perfect rendition of "the Thing"  because of his height   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fay

Mike, i think if they were keen for the site to be a success, they would have stopped us going in those conditions, as it not only ruined their ground, we were fedup about it as well, & probably will not go back. Places of class, like Woodlands & Blacklands, do care & think about future custom & comfort.

mickw

Despite the size of the land as a whole, it is only the small field where we were that is the actual campsite.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

yes, they probably thought it was a good idea to make a bit of money on this cut off piece of land.
A problem if a lot of people turned up.

Never mind it was worth a try & if it had turned out ok, a lot shorter journey

Mike

If you do a search on Google for "Stairs Farm" you end up with this thread on the forum. This should be enough bad PR for them to hopefully get themselves sorted out.

Carole

QuoteThe owner never did reply to my email regarding the conditions and that not everyone had stayed, etc. So it is clear to me they do not care about 'customer service' but just want a fast buck.

You're probably right, although I did find them slow to respond to E mails even when they thought we would be a potential customer. 

I'd love to see what you said to them.

Carole