• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

stairs farm

Started by mickw, Feb 19, 2010, 15:09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

I had a look again mark and your fav and also multipe Mac's came out well, the question is do you remember pressing the shutter?

JohnP

Looks excellent Mark - great pics & looks like as usual a great time was had by all despite the conditions....

Fay

Great pictures Mark. I never saw that laser on top of the church. I love Mac's interpretation of "The Thing".

Me thinks Mac was being naughty, when he got stuck in the mud, & it did not go as expected!

My closeup frost pictures were out of focus, I was too close.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Quote from: Space Dog on Feb 21, 2010, 18:27:49
My caravan is now desperate for a carpet steam clean.  
Sorry about that, I thought the carton of Chilli Bean soup would take out any stains. Apparently I was wrong. :-?

Looks like it was a good night, last night, especially for Mark, as he seemed to be really enjoying himself in the background, while I was talking to Chris on the phone, well the slurring shouts sounded like him anyway. ;)

As for the campsite, I think everything that could be said, has been (except for the swearing bits).
The previous weeks weather didn't help, but nor did the description, describing Stair Farm as a campsite. (Chris I think we have found an Off-Road site for Patsy.  :))
Sometimes this is the only oppotunity, for some in the society to actually get out and enjoy the skies, and so this is what makes it seem worse.
Still we are having more DSC's than ever now, whether they be official or not, and so we can look forward to them. with the next one only 3 weeks away. (12th March)

I think other sites should still be considered, but personnal experience or rekkies would be advisable, rather than word of mouth. :-?

Tony G

PS..........................Great Images everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Agree, Tony,  & really love Mac's shots, very artistic!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteMe thinks Mac was being naughty, when he got stuck in the mud, & it did not go as expected!
:roll:

Well i didn't actually expect to get stuck, not with a 4x4 and a low box.

when carol managed to get across, it wasn't as bad as sunday morning.

I thought i'd just turn the truck round and drive out to save mark moving his car.

but after the extra rain overnight the ground wasn't as frozen as when carol passed over it.

So Carol you were very lucky.

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
do you remember pressing the shutter?

Just about.  It was about the only thing I was capable of. 

I left my laptop outside in the frost overnight - only for it to be rained on in the morning.  When the rain began, I had to dash out of my tent and rescue it amongst other things.  The ice made a very interesting noise as it slid down the canvas once loosened by the rain.

Mark

Carole

QuoteSo Carol you were very lucky.
Certainly looks like it Mac.

Carole

MarkS

Mac - I love the one of Duncan peering into his scope - a very well composed image.

The sunrise over the frosty field looks great as well.

Mark

doug

When Rose and I accompanied Carole to look at Stairs Farm, the ground was wet, but not as you saw it, Jim. (sorry ...star trek ....) and the gravel ?roads? were not quite as full of holes.  The recent snow must have worsened the roadway, as it has all the roads everywhere.  It didn`t look as bad as all the images have shown it to be, which must have been bloody awful for all those who managed to get down there, and tried to image the sky ..... which, according to somebody, was very good.

I totally agree that the prices were OTT and you should not have been charged the full amount, and yes, Chris, put a few disclaimers on campsite forums as a warning to others.  As we are members of the Camping and Caravan Club, I will have words with them about the site, but it had only just been taken over by the owners, but is that an excuse??  And the site is what is called a "Certified Site", which means minimum facilities ..........  I think that a lot of campsites would have been boggy this time of the year, but perhaps with better hardstandings.

Quick question for Chris ..... when you image, do you just image in black and white, or do you then add the RGB afterwards to give the color??  Showing my ignorance, you see.  And what was the laser over the church .........?????

Rose and I felt twangs of conscience when we saw the photo`s, `cos we wuz there with Carole when we viewed the site ....

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

Mac if you're going to play in the mud, you need some of these  ;)

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Just put a deposit on one of these, :lol:

mickw

Cool - you can pitch your tent underneath it to stay dry  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Don't be hard on yourselves (Carole, Doug, Rose).  Since you visited Stairs Farm we've had one of the wettest and coldest winters for 30 years. To be fair, I think almost every campsite would be almost as bad (including Blacklands).  However  I don't think the owners were fully aware just how bad the boggy conditions had become.

For the number of people who suddenly descended upon it there was simply insufficient hardstanding for all the cars - since it was impossible to park on any grass.

I think the biggest problem was the number of aircraft passing over.  If it weren't for that  I would actually consider going back - even in the mud, as long as it's just a few people.  The sky was excellent once the steeple switched off at 10pm - probably much better than Blacklands (I haven't processed my "official" measurements yet).

Given recent weather, we were also very fortunate to get two clear nights in succession.  The overnight frost was beautiful and do remember, we were sitting in sunshine drinking beer and wine on Saturday - my face is still glowing from it (the sun, that is).

Mark