• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello Again

Started by Nige, Feb 18, 2010, 14:10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Hi its Nigel here - I met many of you at the Change of Horses on Tuesday night.  Many thanks for making me feel so welcome.  Username Nigel already taken so I also go by Nige.  I was amazed at the depth of knowledge and expertise and the size of the group!  I was surrounded by people who had published books about the sky or searching for new inverterbrate species or sending balloons up to the edge of space or just having purchased their own astronomical dome etc etc just as if that was a perfectly normal conversation for a Tuesday evening.  If it hadn't been for the warm welcome and the good humour I would have felt quite intimidated!  As I explained on Tuesday, Tuesday evenings are normally a clash for me but I am hoping to schedule in as many viewing evenings as I can and am already looking forward to it. Best wishes, Nige(l)

mickw

Welcome Nigel, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Unfortunately talking about astronomy and assorted other stuff is about all we can manage during this weather  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for saying "Hi."  Welcome to our forum. You sould now be able to post in other sections. User names need to be unique and distinct, but don't have to be the same as the name displayed to everyone. You can, if you wish, change your displayed name.

Cheers,
Rick

Mike

Hi Nigel. Nice to meet you in the pub on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll see you at a few more sessions and maybe some monthly meetings too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Yes, nice meeting you Nigel, shame you have a clash on Thursdays, but hopefully you can make the camps and some observing evenings and we hold public events from time to time as well.

Carole

doug

Good to meet you, Nigel.  Hope that you can get to some of the meetings and things; you seem to have fingers in many pies, as the saying goes. Hope to see you at the AGM at the BEECHE this coming Thursday, if you can make it.

Rose and Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Note that the AGM does have a bit of business to get through, but that there will be a talk after the tea/coffee break. ;)

doug

Very true, Rick, but we find all the meetings enjoyable.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Just didn't want the "AGM" to sound all boring. ;)

Ian

Quote from: doug on Feb 19, 2010, 10:22:54

Very true, Rick, but we find all the meetings enjoyable.

We'll see about that then... I think we should start with keeping the doors open in winter and closed in summer.  :P

Nige

Hi its Nigel again.  Have not managed to log in recently but am hoping to get down to the Coach and Horses again tomorrow - hope that's OK?  Will post same request under meetings and events.  Look forward to seeing you all again.