• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pop-Up Tents

Started by Mike, Feb 18, 2010, 12:35:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Has anyone used one of those pop-up tents before. The ones you are supposed to just throw. If so, are they..

a) Waterproof enough in heavy rain?
b) Big enough to fit the 'Fat Boy' camping beds inside?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I'm sure Tony's got a few in stock ;)

mickw

Get one
Get one
Get one

It's really funny watching people try to put them away
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I'm just thinking I'm going to be turning up after dark, it might be raining, windy, etc. so I'd rather just throw something up quick than mess around with that bloody nightmare of a tent that takes ages to put up, plus is badly designed as the INNER tent goes up first. I mean WTF!!  :roll:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Not had any practical experience but I did go to look at the Quechua popups http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/hiking-gear-68240668/ in the autumn and was very impressed.  They get very good reviews and come in many sizes.  I even managed to put one away myself. 

Not sure how big a 'Fat Boy' camping bed is but I'm sure there's a tent that would suit to fit.  They are supposed to be very waterproof but check the specs.

Tony - what make was your tent ?

Robert

mickw

The Quechua seem to be quite popular, there were quite a few set up at Blacklands
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

According to this
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/2-seconds-xl-ii-35307020/#
the waterproofing has been tested only up to 450litres/m2/hour

That works out to 18inches of rain per hour.  Are we likely to get more than that on Friday night?

Mike

Ohh that's pushing it a bit I think.

Fay

I think Tony is your man. Didn't someone video him putting one up??? That should be both entertaining & educational   :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Friday is looking rain free

Tony G

Mike,

It depends on what size tent you get, I have a supposedly 4 berth (more like 3) and the fishing beds fits in nicely with room. it is a Quechua tent from Decathlon, and is also has an inside lining.

This is from last year. (I hope this is the right video, as the company's server won't allow me to view it)
Quote from: Space Dog on Oct 01, 2009, 13:36:39
We have all seen the video of a beutiful young woman putting away a folding tent in 15 seconds, now the UDSC version

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13007140@N05/3971414038/

Fay I don't know about educational. :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Looks like you got the better of it ... eventually  ;)

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Friday is looking rain free

Rain-free, maybe.  What about snow, though?

Fay

Mark, do you know something I don't?

Mike

Got a pop-up tent. Thanks for the advice.

Hilarity will now ensue.