• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 19th to 22nd February 2010

Started by Mike, Jan 18, 2010, 10:00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 10, 2010, 15:48:18
Quote from: Tony
So if I'm looking at Saturn and call it Jupiter, then for that weekend, and that weekend only, I'm right, and no one can tell me any different.

If you're looking at Saturn and think it's Jupiter then your optics are in serious need of collimation!

Exactly what I mean, someone has started picking on me already, and we're not even there yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Fay, this is a new tent only in use, I got this last year, but never used it, and because Flis may be going on Saturday, the pop up tent wouldn't be practical.

Tony G

PS.........................Only joking Mark ;)

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Please read the other threads. This DSC will now NOT go ahead at Blacklands as it is closed. Instead it will be at Stairs Farm...

Map Ref 188/478353

Stairs Farm entrance gate is just past the south end of Hartfield High St. at the bottom of Jib Jacks Hill. From Tunbridge Wells take the B2110 through Groombridge and Withyham. Go through Hartfield High St. and bear left towards Maresfield at the large oak tree. The site entrance is about 30 metres on the left, just before the 30 mph limit sign. From Forest Row, go through Upper Hartfield and turn sharp right at the oak tree just before the start of Hartfield High St. From Maresfield (B2026) the site entrance is on the right just before the junction with Hartfield High St. There is a coded padlock on the main gate for security and all site and local area details will be found in the green newspaper box. The Club site will be found just up the farm track behind and to the right of the barns.

From Orpington it is only 22 miles or 45 mins driving and is a pretty straightforward route. Follow the instructions from Tunbridge Wells if you are coming from the North.

Click this for directions from Orpington High Street - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=High+St,+Orpington,+Kent,+United+Kingdom&daddr=High+St,+Hartfield,+East+Sussex+TN7,+UK&hl=en&geocode=FR4FEAMdYpoBAClDLBVDYKzYRzEH08FIyvo_1A%3BFVm9CwMdW6wBAClFi8pU8VvfRzGXCL3aae1o-Q&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=51.245777,0.086666&sspn=0.435415,0.764236&ie=UTF8&ll=51.241286,0.085144&spn=0.435456,0.764236&z=11

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Entrance is actually just round the corner in Jacks Hill (B2026)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

OK I now have the padlock code so I will PM it to all of those persons who have put their name in this thread - http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5804.0 - to say they are going.

Just a reminder that you will need to bring the necessary amount of cash with you as I will be collecting it on day 1 of your arrival. The owner of the field is coming on Sunday morning to visit and collect the money.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Stairs Farm information leaflet can be downloaded from HERE

Mike

Another message from jackie the owner....

"As the ground is extremely marshy following the constant wet weather I would ask that you keep the caravan and camper van located on the hardstandings nearest the gate, and not the hardstanding located at the rear of the barns by the toilet block. Additionally please can you keep the cars also on the hardstanding areas."

i.e. KEEP OFF THE GRASS !!!

mickw

Can only see the 5/6 hard standings near the barn on Satellite  :-?
Are there others ?

Doug, Carole ????????????
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

If there are people camping down there already in caravans on the hardstanding, where are we going to set up if we are restricted to certain areas. :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

QuoteIf there are people camping down there already in caravans on the hardstanding, where are we going to set up if we are restricted to certain areas.

Good point, but i think the hard standing is refering to the caravan and motor home,
as for the tents, i believe they want us to park the cars on the road bits.

Mac.

Mike

There will be just 1 other person in a caravan on the site this weekend.

Tony G

How do cars pass each other without getting bogged in, with the comings and goings of society members and the members of the public who are camping. :-?

Tony G

Mike

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Once you're in, you're in. Forever.

Yep - they change the combination so you can never get out ...

Carole

Flippin heck, here is another chunk of posts since yesterday I seem to have missed.

Can we try to stick to one thread only for DSC, I keep missing things with "show unread posts since last visit" not working.  I have to check ALL the posts that have been made in each section, to see if any new ones have been posted, and sometimes I miss some, especially if there are other new posts in the same section.

which is why I didn't respond to this Mick
QuoteDoug, Carole ????????????

C

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Can we try to stick to one thread only for DSC,

But Carole, we're trying to go for the record for the number of threads on one subject.  AND you already know it because you replied:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5815.0