• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

COVERTING cANON raw/ cr2 FILES TO tiff AUTOMATICALLY

Started by Fay, Jan 17, 2010, 20:45:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I am using the Canon & usually when I have a quick look in Canon Digital Photo they are RAW files but when pressing TOOLS ,send to Photoshop, they usually go direct & are converted to TIFF.

My first go since having laptop done etc & subs will not open in Photoshop as they are not being converted to TIFF I am having to do each one manually. Does anyone know if I am missing a PS plugin or is it up to Canon software to convert to TIFF?  thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Daniel

Hi Fay, Digital Photo Professional can batch convert images, just go to file/batch process in the menu!

Hope this helps

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Daniel I am thinking that is what I am looking for. I was just preparing for a long day of sorting it out.

Also,  should it be set to Adobe RGB for the colour?

Mac

QuoteAlso,  should it be set to Adobe RGB for the colour?

there is a huge debate that rages on over Adobe RGB or sRGB.

Adobe RGB will give you a larger colour space to play with, however, when you save the images for the internet,
you loose some of the vibrant colours, unless you change the colour profile first and then save the file.

sRGB dosent have as larger colour space as Adobe RGB, but the colours that are allocated are more vibrant, also when you save the image you loose none of the detail.

Also every web browser is set up for sRGB images (Safari supports both).

So set the colour space for sRGB in what ever you are going to use.
change the mode to 16 bit (photoshop)
process your image
change back to 8bit
save your image.

There are advantages of Adobe RGB.
1) some home printers supports the colour space so that you get the same image printed as whats on the screen (assuming calibrated monitor).
2) All professional printers support multiple colour spaces so it dosent matter.

If your going to be printing any of your images work in Adobe RGB in 16bit. and then save the image.
then change the colour space to sRGB and then save a copy for the internet.

Mac.

Fay

Sorry for repeating the problem

I have downloaded a new version of Canon Digital Photo Professional & also  more up to date Raw Codec/Canon. Although these are really for XP SP2 or 3, whereas mine is just XP Home. so perhaps not working.

When I take a canon RAW I open in DPP & then when pressing TOOLS, Transfer to Photoshop, it has always converted to TIFF & gone over very quickly, so the sub can be examined etc etc before carrying on with aquiring any more.

Now, I press TOOLS & a box comes up saying it is performing the task, but the image does not get to Photoshop. Once it has & no more. I have never had a problem with this since I have had the Canon.

This is not working on desktop either, so strange. Although, not sure if I practiced it on desktop.

If anyone has an idea what it could be, could problem be, bearing in mind it is same on both computers but was always ok for past 3 years.

mickw

You could take a look at the settings in DPP to see if there's anything that looks odd (I've only got Elements2 so can't try anything  :cry:)

Can you transfer to PS as jpeg ?   that would at least prove the paths

Have you reinstalled PS in a different location ?

The SP2 or 3 things are the Service Packs you would normally have downloaded when you did a system update - you can check what's installed by clicking Control Panel - System - It should show what version of XP you have and what Service Packs are installed - SP2 or SP3
XP Pro or Home shouldn't make a difference to what you are trying to do.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Fay

Did not know SP3 was service pack, which is what I have got.

It will transfer any file, only once, on opening, then seems to freeze for a few seconds & will not transfer any more after that.

The last 3 years, it would transfer really fast & immediately open PS for the viewing.

Funny it is both computers, wondering if there is a designated file folder  that the subs should go in

mickw

There were earlier discussions about changing RGB types, have you done that ?
Try changing it back
or Try changing it.

Clutching at straws now  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mick, I have been  clutching for the last 2 hours....there is an answer there somewhere