• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Looks like a Good 'un tonight!

Started by Daniel, Dec 20, 2009, 11:05:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Don't want to jinx it but, the weathers looking pretty good for today and tonight, think I might be seeing the sun rise tommorrow!

Daniel
:O)

Rocket Pooch

Hya,

I have a new dedicated flattner for my ed80 I'm going to try out, lets see how it goes, narrowband here we go.

Chris

Daniel

I'll be very interested in the results, I love the FOV my ED80 gives me but can't stand the coma you get on them.

Daniel

MarkS

Which flattener is it, Chris?

I use the WO MkII 0.8x flattener.

Rocket Pooch

Its the skywatcher .85 made for the ed80, i had a wo Mk 3 useless, so i swapped it for the dedicated one, just set it up and its solid as a rock as well, all ready to go. 

http://www.harrysastroshed.com/skyflat.html
http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/89898-new-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

Now where it the hair dryer, must get dew heaters this christmas...

MarkS

I don't believe it! Just after I buy a WO Mk 2 for my ED80 they go and produce a dedicated one.  

But I wonder how it performs in the corners of a DSLR FOV?  i.e. I wonder if it actually performs better than the WO Mk 2.

BTW, I had read that the Mk2 works better with the ED80 than the Mk3 - that's why I went for the Mk2

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Will find out tonight mark, I'm going to do some test imaging with it on the QSI583, currently the ED80 is pants with it the edges suffer big time.

If this works then I'm going to get a ED120 as well, the review on these has been good, then I'm all set scope wise.

Daniel

Well, im all set up, just waiting for Polaris and Kochab to make an appearance............

............is it me or did I just set myself up for an awful night of imaging??

Daniel

Chris, I have an ED120 myself, it's a fantastic scope, have a look at my pre-hyperstar images, there's barely any coma even with an APS-C sized sensor.

Daniel

Rocket Pooch

ok out I got, just need to polar align, its the 1st time my mount has been on the pier this year!!!

MarkS

Quote from: Daniel
Well, im all set up, just waiting for Polaris and Kochab to make an appearance............

Ditto!

I can't believe this is the first (and possibly last) imaging I've done all December ..

Moon and Jupiter look fab!

Rick

Jupiter and Neptune are quite close together at the moment. See this bulletin.

Carole

I was out last night in minus 1.5 degrees and guess what? The clouds rolled in before I could get anything useful done.  
Tonight (as normally happens when an UDSC is suddenly announced) I have something arranged.

Anyway, had time to take Jupiter and the Moon.  First time I've used my DSLR for normal photgraphy, if you can call this normal.  I think I haven't quite got the settings right.

Carole

JohnP

Carole - what part of the country were you in.....??????

Looked crystal clear in Bromley from when it got dark to when I went to bed about 12'ish.....??????

Carole

QuoteInsert Quote
Carole - what part of the country were you in.....??????
Looked crystal clear in Bromley from when it got dark to when I went to bed about 12'ish.....??????

I did that post yesterday, and was referring to the night before that when it was minus 1.5 degrees i.e. (Saturday), but I did set up early as I was trying to catch Jupiter before it disappeared.  But the clouds rolled in before I had completed what I was trying to do.  I stayed up for around another hour hoping to try out guiding (just as an exercise), but it was still cloudy, so as it was minus degrees, decided to pack up.  Might have cleared later on though.

However last night (Sunday) my husband had arranged Christmas drinks with friends, so annoyingly had to miss the best evening for ages, but managed to take the Moon and Jupiter before we went.

Carole