• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My New Nemesis, The Iris Nebula.

Started by Daniel, Nov 22, 2009, 13:09:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, I got this a while back but never got round to processing it properly, Im not that happy with it just yet, needs a LOT more subs as the noise really starts to come out when trying to dig out that dark nebulosity.

Im not sure this is all that viable target from my location, since the detail around the edge isn't all that brighter than my skies and I needed to do a LOT in the processing to bring out that dark nebulosity. Definitely on I'd like to re-visit under dark skies.

Imaging details are as follows :-

Imaging Scope = C14 with Hyperstar III
Camera = Canon 40D (Modded)
Ambient Temperature = 5 Degrees Celcius
Filters Used = CLS
Date Taken = 09/11/09     
Light Frames = 48x180s ISO 160
Dark Frames = 18x180s ISO 160
Flat frames = 100x1/13s ISO 160
Bias  = 100x1/8000s ISO

Anyway, here it is :-

JohnP

looks bloody good to me daniel. really like all that brown dust... John

Mac

Fay

Nice, Daniel, it looks like it has been stopped in it's tracks & skidded to a halt!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Fay, are you insinuating that the brown patch leading up to the iris is a skidmark???!!       :lol:

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Good luck with that one, its a very dark item to pull out of the image and the core is very bright, as an asside the colour balance looks a wee bit odd?

Chris

RobertM

That's a fantastic attempt at a very difficult target.  The Iris itself is very well resolved and getting the dust lanes is quite an achievement but I have to agree with Chris about the colour balance, a wee bit too red perhaps.

Daniel

I agree, just seen it on the monitors at work, and it looks bloody awful! shall do a re-process on my way home tonight, really need to sort out my laptops gamma!

MarkS

That's looking really good Daniel - a very interesting target to attempt.

It does look over-blown on my monitor but I think you've already realised that.

Mark

Tony G

Great subject, and a great image Daniel.

Well I think I need to get my eyes checked, :o because there are a great deal of images being shown in this section, which if they were mine, I would be proud of, and people are saying that they need processing. Well I personally would be worried to process them, as they may end up worse than what they are when posted.

Keep the excellent images coming. 

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson