• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1805 and IC1848 reprocess

Started by RobertM, Nov 05, 2009, 19:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Reprocess of dodgy stars and to bring out some more nebulosity so hopefully a bit better.

Chris - A median filter, you will have to educate me as I usually use SD-Mask which is supposed to be superior ?

Full size: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Group2-GE-SSLC-P2.jpg

Robert

MarkS

Much better. 
That really is a stunning image!  So much faint detail appearing.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Thats much better, if your using DDP the heel to toe seems a little out of kilter because the centre of the stars is brighter then the outer part, or maybe this is a little flare.  If you have photoshop import it and use the filter there, not sure if its in Maxim.

Chris

RobertM

Hmmm... I know what you mean about the brighter stars, it definitely deserves a more thorough investigation as I've had that effect in other images too.  In part I think it might be down to the size of the saturated star image and hence could be due to slightly incorrect focus exacerbated by the DDP or sharpening.

Thanks for the PS Median filter tip, I'll try that when I get in tonight.

Robert

RobertM

I tried the Median filter but it blurred out a lot of background stars even at a setting of 1.

Daniel

Awesome re-process Robert, that lens and camera combo are amazing, looks just as good as an image taken with a dedicated wide field scope!

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Had another go at reprocessing this to bring out more detail and faint nebulosity, see what you think...

Full size http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4343920595_c13d9e0ecf_o.jpg

tfl. Robert

Carole

There is a definite improvement and sharpness to fine detail.  Those "armpit" creases (for want of a better description) are much clearer and defined, and some of the faint stars are more clearly visible.  

Carole

MarkS

I like that Robert.  You've brought out the fainter nebulosity and the detail is certainly more defined.

However, I think the stars are beginning to get that "overprocessed" look - the stars in your earlier reprocess looked more natural.  Maybe you could try blending the stars from the earlier image into this image with the better nebulosity.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks for the comments.  I know I need to work on those stars but I'm glad you think the nebulosity is more defined and visible as that was the original intention.

Fay

Nice image Robert. Not sure which one I like best, there are lots of interesting little fuzzies there. I always find that median is a bit too much, unless I use it incorrectly
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Wow, Robert, that's one incredible image, that lens is really working out for you, just wish the sbig i have my eye on would take canon lenses!

Stunning!

Daniel
:O)