• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

North America and Pelican widefield

Started by RobertM, Nov 02, 2009, 20:30:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Taken with new setup : 13 x 600s Baader 7nm Ha filter, unguided, FLI ML8300 Camera at -30C and Canon 200mm f/2.8 lens stopped down to f/3.2
This is the first image from an all night session on Sat 24th October from my back garden in Orpington.

It really does need calibrated with flats but here it is anyway.  Bias calibrated, DDP stretched, sharpened, levels and curves in MaximDL.  I found this very tricky to process, I guess I'm out of practice so please criticise as necessary!

A link to the full res version in the gallery: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Group1-DDP-P1.jpg

MarkS

Nice camera - you kept that quiet!  I can see why you stayed up for an all night session.

That's a very interesting field of view you've captured there with a lot of depth and faint wispy bits.  The lens is performing very well at F3.2 - very little in the way of coma or other aberrations.

Very good image and I'm very jealous of your 10 minutes unguided.  

Mark

Fay

That is extremely dramatic Robert, cannot believe it was unguided!!!!!!!! I love the field of view, first of many lovely images!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Yes Mark quiet.  I've had it for a while but was waiting for the filter wheel then the filters ... seemed to take forever.  Just need to sell the SX now.

I'm glad you like the image, the camera gives a good FOV with that lens.

Daniel

Lovely image, FOV with that setup is incredible!

Daniel
:O)

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

This one looks like it has a little coma in the image?  But the FOV is pretty amazing and the detail on the lower part of the nebula I have never seen before.

Also again with processing a little noisy and the whites are too white.

Chris

RobertM

Yes, it has a little coma due to the lens not being correctly setup.  I need to get Canon to recalibrate it but their place is up in Enfield and there is no phone number to contact them so that needs a visit.  It's a long way to go but I'm definitely going to have to do it sometime.

Interesting what you say about the whites, it was tricky to process and bring all the nebulous detail out.  Likely the noise is due to the sharpening ... C'est la vie!

Robert

Whitters