• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Any-one familiar with Vista

Started by Carole, Oct 29, 2009, 23:57:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

QuoteVista is just a crock of sh*t.

Carol just bin Vista and get XP installed, its so much better,
Haven used Windows7 yet, but untill sp1 i wouldn't upgrade.

Having said that, its probably better then Vista anyway, even with the major bugs.

In fact a pen a paper is better then vista, i've never seen a piece of  paper crash yet. ;)

Daniel

I just don''t get why people have such problems with vista, Im running both 32 and 64 bit versions on  6 machines here and don'tget any problems at all, and im running some pretty heavy software. It was definitely abysmal when it firsst came out and pretty much nothing supported or ran properly in it, but that was a long time ago, i'd say if your just running astro software that was written within the last 2 years and photoshop, vista performs excellently.

mickw

Personally, from first views, Vista and W7 seem to try and appeal to 8 year old girls with all the fancy toys, or for someone who wants to use the PC for the control centre for all your TV, Video, Music etc.

If you just want a PC to run the applications YOU want, it's way too bloated.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

We have 3 laptops with Vista and no problems.

Carole

Hi Daniel
Quoteit could be that you need to click on the little arrow icon on the far left of the icons to expand all the icons out, vista will only display a few of them.
Yup, I did that as well, but still no Icon.  Hovered over them all to see what they were incase they had changed the appearance of the ICON.

I never wanted to get VISTA as I heard so many people complain about it, which was why I hung on to the old laptop for so long, but it got to the point that I had to make a decision with my SC3 not doing long exposure, i.e. was it the laptop or the camera that was the problem?  Then I thought in any case the old laptop was probably not going to be up to running more than one lot of software at a time plus there was little space on the HD and the battery was non existent.   So thought I had better get a new one

My timing is making a habit of being crap, I bought a new car last year and a few months later every-one was being offered £2000 scappage!!!!

I have absolutely no idea how to downgrade to Windows XP pro which is what I have on my desktop and old Laptop.  However, I'll stick with what I've got for the time being, and if it really drives me mad, I'll find out how to do it.

Carole

RobertM

Don't forget your old laptop has a valid license of XP Pro so whatever you do don't just throw it away.  The license is worth more than twice the price of the hardware.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

When I initially bought my laptop, it came with Vista and not having had a computer before, I was ignorant of the operating systems.  A lot of people who know have told me that Vista is rubbish, a load of c**p, and other defamatory statements, but I did not know how to offload Vista and reprogramme the laptop with ..... whatever.

Sooooo .... I have had to persevere with Vista and it is the only system that I know, and as I don`t download videos, films and games, it`s fine with me.  I haven`t used it for astronomical purposes; that may come in the future when I perhaps start imaging, but as now, it`s okay.

It ain`t quick and it can be a pain in the a**e occasionally when it gets sssslllloooooooww, but I shall persevere with it.  If I ever get another computer, it will probably have Windows 7 loaded, and that WILL be fun.  So all you people with XP, Linus and Grunglesystems, carry on.  I shall use the laptop and Vista for a few more years.

Doug.  :twisted:

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rocket Pooch

Doug,

I will be putting Windows 7 on my Vista PC because its a lot quicker, if it runs like XP on my currect PC it will be like getting a new PC.

Chris

doug

I thought it was illegal to download Windows 7 or am I mistaken ......... as usual ????? 

Let me know how you get on with it ..... and how you do it ..... please.

Doug.  :-?
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Who said anything about downloading?!

Chris sue him for libel !  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteI thought it was illegal to download Windows 7 or am I mistaken

Yup.

Its illegal to download copyright material, to use on your machine without paying for a licence. (Piracy)

however here's a link to download windows 7 legally for a 90 day trial..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=606AE07E-B7DB-405B-974B-DD61FC41ADD4&displaylang=en

MR POLICE IT IS A LEGAL DOWNLOAD. its from microsoft themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although at 1.1G its going to be a relatively long process.
If you like it you will then have to purchase a licence. after the 90 days.

Mac.

Not too sure how or if it will let you roll back if you decide not to use it.

Ian

Mac, yup it's legal.

However, it's probably not going to help very much. It's a virtual hard drive image, which is not a full install, won't replace your existing install, won't work with any existing hardware and probably the killer, needs Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V to host the VHD...

I've put Windows 7 on my work laptop, and so far I'm impressed, although that's mostly because Vista was a complete crock. When I'm feeling brave I might put the 64 bit version on it as I've got a gig of RAM sat doing sweet FA at the moment.

Doug, if you're happy, great. If you think spending 70 notes to speed your machine up is affordable, go for it. But it sticks in my throat a bit that I've paid Redmond money for a Vista service pack. On the up side, it was tax free, and I was feeling flush after paying 35 notes for Office 2007

Carole

I've managed to find this on the web and it worked.  The Icon had been hidden, but I would never have thought to right click on the Clock!!!

Web Quote
QuoteYou are using your USB flash drive but u can't remove it because the safely remove icon has disappeared.
Sometimes Windows accidentally hides this icon all you have to do now:
• Right click on the clock in the notification area
• Click on Customize Notifications

On the next window:
• " Safely Remove Hardware " to scroll the list of columns, and choose Always show

Mike

#60137 +(879)- [X]

<Superpig> my uncle has a celeron
<Superpig> would XP run on it, do you think?
<ravuya> about as well as a dog runs with no legs or torso
<ravuya> and with bricks tied to its head
<ravuya> at the bottom of a solid concrete pool
<ravuya> filled with dead corpses and rocks
<Superpig> so, about the same as it runs on my P4 then
<ravuya> more or less