• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Any-one familiar with Vista

Started by Carole, Oct 29, 2009, 23:57:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteDon't forget your old laptop has a valid license of XP Pro so whatever you do don't just throw it away.  The license is worth more than twice the price of the hardware.

Just found your post Robert, one I must have missed with my
QuoteShow unread posts since last visit.
not working.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.  I do like Windows XP, but I really have no idea how to go about changing the operating system, let alone move the licence from one laptop to another.  Also having said that, I don't want to do anything to your old laptop until I've tried everything out with my new guiding set up, just in case I find I need a second laptop for any reason. 

I'm also biding my time to see what every-one thinks of Windows 7, and also to see whether I can manage with Vista.

Does changing the operating system negate the guarantee?

Incidentally even changing the "remove hardware safely" from being hidden to "show", it still flippin hides itself sometimes, it's very annoying as it means I can't safely remove things until I have shut down!!!

Carole

Carole

Mike

Why do you want to change at all? What is wrong with your current OS? Do you think it will be any better with a more up to date OS using the same technology you have that is n months or years old?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I just prefer Windows XP, it works well for me and Vista is frustrating, and annoying.  I am going to stick with it for now, perhaps I'll get used to it.

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Mac

Quotehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Well at least Microsoft has upgraded their Blue screen of death to a Black one.  :cheesy:

mickw

Is it cheaper in black and white ?  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Quote from: mickw on Dec 01, 2009, 16:32:06
Is it cheaper in black and white ?  :o

Who said anything about "white"?  I think they got their inspiration from Douglas Adams...

QuoteIt's the weird color-scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it!

Rick

So to recap - the "Black Screen of Death" is in fact a real thing, but it's not a recent thing, and you won't be seeing it as a result of applying any of the Microsoft patches to date.  It's still recommended to keep your Windows systems (and any other systems for that matter) as up to date as possible with vendor updates.

More: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7672

Mac

QuoteSo to recap - the "Black Screen of Death" is in fact a real thing, but it's not a recent thing, and you won't be seeing it as a result of applying any of the Microsoft patches to date. 
QuoteIt's still recommended to keep your Windows systems (and any other systems for that matter) as up to date as possible with vendor updates.

So true, except at the moment, im trying to sort out a Vista problem of endless reboots after an update.
This machine has been update automatically every night since the year dot.
Weird thing is Microsoft are aware of the problem as far back as 2008, which affected SP1 machines only, the machine i'm working on has SP2.
I've applied their patch and it dosent like it. I've got it working, but as soon as you try and do an update, the same result, ive even selected one install at a time to see if its
one of the update modules, but its doing it on all 17!!!!
So chances are its not one of the modules but something underlying.
Might have to get the old Microsoft support centre to look into this one.