• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Califirnia

Started by Whitters, Oct 18, 2009, 21:02:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

4 hours of NGC1449, 48 x 300s Tamron 105mm f2.5 camera lens used at f4. MX916 camera, Astornomik ha filter.
17th October 2009.
Processing levels and curves

Daniel

Nice image, wish i could get that FOV, black point looks a little clipped, but the detail in there is lovely!

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

I like that Paul.  Very sharp and plenty of detail there.

That lens/camera cobination is giving you a very useful field of view.

Mark

Whitters

Thanks guys. Looking at the image on my monitor at work it appears to be moe clipped than my laptop which is callibrated. Both screens are LCD. What does anyone else see?

Daniel

This is the problem I get at work too, these monitors are supposed to be calibrated, but if that's correct my laptop must be way off!

Daniel
:O)

Mike

It looks clipped to me. Your other image does too. They look very 'flat', almost as if they have been reduced in the bit depth somehow. Can you post a link up to your FITS files so we can have a play?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Whitters

Looks like there is a problem with my system start-up, It runs the gamma loader but then resets the display :-( MS Vista thinking it knows best no doubt! :evil:
I re-ran the gamma loader and you are right all the subtle detail is lost. Bugger! I'll have another go

RobertM

Paul, very nicely framed and lovely fov.  On thing I always consider is resampling the individual subs before stacking and in your case, especially as you have so many subs, it would definitely be worthwhile trying.  Double the size of each sub then stack, I would hope for better resolution with little or no noticable increase in noise or other artifacts.  Worth a try anyway...

Robert

Whitters

Thanks Robert, sounds like a plan.

Whitters

Reprocessed double sized as Robert suggested. The monitor was not being callibrated, this is now sorted. how does this look?

JohnP

Tony G

John,

I wouldn't say that 100 light year long was small.  :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

yeah it's half the size
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan