• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tonights effort

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 09, 2004, 10:34:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Not had much of a chance to process the files I've captures, but I think there good.  Heres an example.

More to come.

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-02-09 08:32 ]

Whitters

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

excellent pic.

One of the hardest decisions to take processing these sorts of images is to make it small. I think your image illustrates why it's a good idea. It looks extremely crisp.

The colour balance is good too, are you using an IR block or adjusting after in Photoshop?

Rocket Pooch

This one was with a Astronomik IR filter, 5FPS 600 frames, 900mm F4.4 Europa with JP's 3xTal Barlow with no other changes at all.

Infact I did not remove any burry frames bacause there wasn't any.  The telescope web cam etc were cooled down for about 2 hours prior to use I think this helped.  Also it was the less twinkly night I've seen for a longt time.

Strangely enough, I have four AVI's with Jupiter and these seem unusable, despite the fact I collected them with the same setup on the same night.

I did blow this image up 2x and it does not remove much detail, but I like it as it is.  The thing I was most happy about is the banding on the planet, I havent got anything like this out of the other images before.

This was my third attempt, so now I suppose I should pick another object.  But by god that night Saturn was pretty as hell although I knew what I was looking at I definately could see ring and planet detail easily in a 6mm eyepiece.

Lastly I tried to find m51 that night and after 2 hours in the cold I came back in doors at 2:30am, brrrr.

Just hope next week is clear.

:smile:

Whitters

Chris,
Was Jupiter in the same area of sky as Saturn, was it lower down or near a roof, or anything that may have still been conducting heat?

Rocket Pooch

It was probably about 45 degrees up in the sky, the AVI files look ok, but when there processed there not good.  Basically I think there either over or under exposed, depending on your viewpoint.

When its clera again I'll have a god when Jupiter is at 90% and play with the framing rates.

I did accidently learn a brill way to get the clearest frames from an AVI yeaterday by using AstroVideo and Registax, i'll show you at the DSC next week.

Whitters

Rick

Ah! Just figured why the image won'd display on my PC at work... It's got a .bmp suffix, and the browser doesn't know what to do....

For images, JPEG (with a .jpg suffix) is generally the most-likely to work, with GIF (.gif) a close second, and PNG (.png) a definite third. Anything else should be avoided if at all possible.