• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

QE of modified Canon 350D

Started by MarkS, Oct 08, 2009, 07:02:31

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I now have very approximate figures for the Quantum Efficiency of my modified Canon EOS 350D.  They are as follows:
H-alpha  17-21%
Green    33-43%  (average over G transmission band)
Blue      25-35%   (average over B transmission band)

My methodolology was as follows:
I have a 5 minute RGB image of the Running Man Nebula taken with the Canon on the C11
I have 5 minute R, G & B images of the Running Man Nebula taken with my free hour on LightBuckets back in February.

The LightBuckets image was taken with an SBIG STL11000M camera on a 20" RCOS Ritchey Chretian at F8.1
The Kodak chip used in the SBIG has published QE as follows:
H-alpha  30%
Green    50%
Blue     48%

I therefore took the ratios of the ADUs in one image with the ADUs in the other image but adjusted for the following differences:

SBIG         Canon
Gain    0.8e/ADU    1.1e/ADU(ISO 800)
F-ratio 8.1            6.3
Pixel    9um           6.4um

My final QE figures are broadly in line with those on Terry Lovejoy's site for a different camera - the EOS300D:
http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/quantum_efficiency_of_the_300d

My previous comparison of the EOS300D and EOS350D showed that the CCDs were broadly similar in terms of QE except that the 350D was 10% more responsive in the green and 10% less responsive in H-alpha and OIII:
300d vs 350D:  http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=3582

Mark

Simon E

I'm new to imaging and all I can say is

:o                         

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mike

Don't worry about it, most of that went over my head too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

If it's any consolation, most of Mike's posts on the High Altitude Balloon project go straight over my head as well  :-)

Simon E

I have been following that too :o :o :o

All i know it will be a laugh watching a 8ft ballon fly up from a campsite near Tenterden with a camera and mobile phone attached to it with a piece of string.  :lol: To take pictures of the overcast sky of the UK.

Surely there are easier ways to get rid of these items, maybe ebay :lol:

si

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras