• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 from Lydd - Work in Progress

Started by MarkS, Sep 27, 2009, 21:56:44

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I've definitely lost vibrancy - which is a disappointment.

Mark have a go at this trick...

Copy the image & paste on top of original. Then go to filters/others/high pass. Set the radius to somewhere around 50... you can experiment. Hit OK. Then change blend mode from Normal to softlight (you can also try hard light)..

It's a good way to increase contrast/ vibrancy without burning too much out...

Let me know how you get on - John

MarkS

If you fancy a go yourselves, here is the raw stacked image from IRIS:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m31comp64v2.tif  (36Mbyte   3474x2314pixels)

Maybe we should have a processing competition - the best re-process of the data wins a prize.

Of course, anyone who adds diffraction spikes or accidently posts a Hubble image left lying around on their hard drive would be automatically disqualified!

Mark

Edited:  Changed m45 to m31 (typo!)

JohnP

Mark - I did have a quick go on the low resolution image & it seemed to have desired effect - I haven't got access to my desktop at the moment & I definitely aint going to do it on my 5 yr old lappy....

Fay

Mark, what an amazing M31 fantastic!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

MarkS

Version 3: Hopefully this combines the best features of the previous versions.  It is a complete re-work from the original stacked TIFF.

Here is the full frame image with 2x2 binning:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m31_260909v3.jpg

Mark

Daniel

Now THATS incredible, perfect balance, I was impressed with the first one, but this one tops it.

Nice Re-process Mark!

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Very good reprocess Mark.  I had a quick go but ended up with gradients everywhere.

Carole

Can we include a processing section when next we have a Imaging workshop. 

Sorry top move off topic, but this thread rather shows there are lessons to be learnt.

Carole

Fay

really nice re process Mark, always a nice subject
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

QuoteCan we include a processing section when next we have a Imaging workshop

Depends on available time and whether it's practical to do that as a group (I do not have a cinema sized television).  In anycase I'm no expert on DSLR processing so that should ideally be done by someone with better knowledge.

Carole

Hi Robert, I said Imaging Workshop, as opposed to Imaging Session.  It was on the agenda at the last committee meeting, so I guess Mike has another Imaging Workshop planned like we had at High Elms last year.

Sorry to cause confusion.

Carole