• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 from Lydd - Work in Progress

Started by MarkS, Sep 27, 2009, 21:56:44

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Taken at the Norwood Farm campsite near Lydd last night.

5 hours of data in 5 minute subs.
Modified Canon EOS 350D on Skywatcher ED80 with William Optics MkII 0.8x reducer/flattener.
Ambient temperature 9C.

Larger scale is here:  http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/M31_260909.jpg
This larger scale image is 2x2 binned and cropped.

This is still a work in progress - this is a very quick initial process.

Mark

Tony G

Great image again Mark,

That for me would be processed enough and I would be over the moon (pardon the pun), but I know you'll get more out of it.

Excellent.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Daniel

Just Awesome Mark!!! love the colours and the detail in those dustlanes reaching right to the outside

Daniel
:O)

Carole

JohnP

yummy.. yummy... yummy.... superb mate... sounds like you & dee had a great night - John

RobertM

Wow Mark, you have been busy!

I think you could consider dimming the core a little to show more of the central dust lanes (personal preference that one).

Looks like everyone is raising the bar with their imaging now the cooler darker nights are starting to appear again - great stuff.

Robert

The Thing

Rocket Pooch

Mike

Excellent Mark. Once you have processed it to even out the core brightness it should be fantastic.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Robert, Mike, you are right.  I processed it like that to disguise the fact that I burnt out the core!

The annoying thing is that the previous week, at the unofficial DSC, I used exactly the same exposure (5 min at ISO800) and it didn't burn out.  I guess the light must have been attenuated by thin cloud.

What I will do is combine this weekend's data with the 4 (!) subs taken at unofficial DSC.

Mark

MarkS

Here is version 2 - it's slightly more restrained than version 1:

It took ages to get the core looking right.

Larger scale is here:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m31_260909v2.jpg
This larger scale image is 2x2 binned and cropped.

Mark

Daniel

That's wonderfull mark, core is ooksing much softer and you've retained all that lovely blue out colour, awesome stuff man!

Might be worth getting some Ha for this one too!

Daniel

RobertM

Much better Mark, though I think you've perhaps lost some of the vibrancy of the original.

I'm looking forward to doing a really deep M31 with a cooled camera when chance presents itself.

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Much better Mark, though I think you've perhaps lost some of the vibrancy of the original.

Thanks - after a few (in fact, many) abortive attempts I managed to apply Photoshop "curves" to the core region alone - this balanced out the brightness whilst preserving dust lanes and even stars (have a look on the Net and you'll notice how few M31 images preserve any stars in this region).  But I think I still need to increase the contrast in this region.

I've definitely lost vibrancy - which is a disappointment.  I'll try blending the colour planes from version 1 into version 2 - that might do the trick.

Mark

Mike

Some of the outer edge detail has been lost too. Definitely need to apply the processing to just the core region.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

I've definitely lost vibrancy - which is a disappointment.

Mark have a go at this trick...

Copy the image & paste on top of original. Then go to filters/others/high pass. Set the radius to somewhere around 50... you can experiment. Hit OK. Then change blend mode from Normal to softlight (you can also try hard light)..

It's a good way to increase contrast/ vibrancy without burning too much out...

Let me know how you get on - John

MarkS

If you fancy a go yourselves, here is the raw stacked image from IRIS:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m31comp64v2.tif  (36Mbyte   3474x2314pixels)

Maybe we should have a processing competition - the best re-process of the data wins a prize.

Of course, anyone who adds diffraction spikes or accidently posts a Hubble image left lying around on their hard drive would be automatically disqualified!

Mark

Edited:  Changed m45 to m31 (typo!)

JohnP

Mark - I did have a quick go on the low resolution image & it seemed to have desired effect - I haven't got access to my desktop at the moment & I definitely aint going to do it on my 5 yr old lappy....

Fay

Mark, what an amazing M31 fantastic!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

MarkS

Version 3: Hopefully this combines the best features of the previous versions.  It is a complete re-work from the original stacked TIFF.

Here is the full frame image with 2x2 binning:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m31_260909v3.jpg

Mark

Daniel

Now THATS incredible, perfect balance, I was impressed with the first one, but this one tops it.

Nice Re-process Mark!

Daniel

RobertM

Very good reprocess Mark.  I had a quick go but ended up with gradients everywhere.

Carole

Can we include a processing section when next we have a Imaging workshop. 

Sorry top move off topic, but this thread rather shows there are lessons to be learnt.

Carole

Fay

really nice re process Mark, always a nice subject
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

QuoteCan we include a processing section when next we have a Imaging workshop

Depends on available time and whether it's practical to do that as a group (I do not have a cinema sized television).  In anycase I'm no expert on DSLR processing so that should ideally be done by someone with better knowledge.

Carole

Hi Robert, I said Imaging Workshop, as opposed to Imaging Session.  It was on the agenda at the last committee meeting, so I guess Mike has another Imaging Workshop planned like we had at High Elms last year.

Sorry to cause confusion.

Carole