• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC7000 and area

Started by Whitters, Sep 13, 2009, 19:01:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Tamron 105mm f2.5, Astronomik Ha, 13th September 2009. Each section 80 minutes 12*400 sec unguided.

MarkS

You've got some nice detail there Paul - it's a good scale.  I can only just make out the mosaic joins.

At F2.5 I'm surprised not to see lots of coma but I suppose you have a very small sensor which uses the centre of the FOV - which camera was it?

Mark

Whitters

Thanks Mark, I forgot to trim the edges of the images before the final stitch, which may be why the joins are more obvious, Can you feather these edges, would that help?

The camera was the Starlight Xpress MX916.

Whitters

Just noticed that the stars on the bottom image look a little wierd, I'll have to take another look at that too.

RobertM

That looks realy excellent Paul, I really love these widefields.  Had the same idea myself but that didn't turn out too good without any filter.  Any plans to go deeper on this one and perhaps add some OIII or SII data?  You could possibly stop the lens down to improve sharpness a little and that would ease putting the mosaic together.

Robert

Whitters

Hi Robert, Thanks for the suggestion of stopping the lens down. I'll give a that a go, maybe try at f4.
It's been years since I did any wide angle imaging, before I had the Losmandy, I'll have a go with guiding too so I can get longer subs.
Definately want to go with other wavelenghts. I guess watch this space ;-)

Fay

That's nice Paul, unguided!! Gone together well
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Whitters

As a comparrison  :oops:, an image of the same area using the same imaging kit back in 2003. using 30 X 30 second exposures

Rocket Pooch

Mac

very nice mosiac,
nice to see the comparison and the progress thats been made.

Mac

Whitters

The strange black blobs around the stars are artifacts introduced by the rotation tool wthin Photoshop. Any ideas on how to fix 'em?

Fay

Sorry Paul. That is a hard tool to use, could you do it in Maxim?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Of you have MaximDL try the Mosaic stitch tool, it's magic...

Whitters

Fay,You are a marvel :-)
Merge in Maxim, curves and levels in Photoshop

Whitters

Robert, just seen your post. You are right it is pure magic. :cheesy: