• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M16 re-process RRGB test

Started by Daniel, Sep 07, 2009, 23:48:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, I mentioned a while back about experimenting with using the strongest channels in an image as a Luminance to bring out detail, here's my M16 from a while back re-processed using the red channel as a Luminance as well as perfoming deconvolution on the luminance channel rather than the colour.

Anyway, here's a full view and a closeup

Daniel
:O)

Mike

Something weird going on with the top right corner of the stars. But overall a nice image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

That looks smashing Daniel, any chance of posting the earlier version for comparison?

Carole

Daniel

Thanks guy's, The weird star problems are a little over zealous use of deconvolution, might redo that tonight on the way home from work with some masking.

Here's the original, still has quite a lot of detail but the processing has been a little more aggressive on this one.

Daniel

MarkS

Nice one Daniel - that re-process looks really good.

Mark

Carole

Yes the stars look much better in the re-processed one, less bloated.   Also some seem to have become less prominent.

Well worth doing.

Carole

Simon E

So what kind of setup is needed to get such a cool image. This is the kind of stuff that makes it all worth while. Is the camera an expensive camera, and is the scope something like a 20 " dob?

Looks well cool though

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Daniel

Hi Simon, admitedly I did take this one on my big ol' 14" hyperstar setup with a canon eos 40D, that said, it's not needed really some of the best images I've taken I took with my 120mm refractor such as this one

The 40D isn't too expensive compared with most dedicated astro camera's, if your just getting into it i'd say DSLR is definitely the way to go.

The 14" setup is really just to save on time really, I can do as much imaging in an hour as I would normally in a whole night with the hyperstar, which is handy as I don't get that much spare time.

Daniel