• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

High Elms observing sessions 22nd September

Started by Simon E, Sep 07, 2009, 13:21:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Just a couple of questions about the observing sessions, bearing in mind, I am usually Norman No Mates in the back garden at Eynsford.

So

1. Is it nice and dark at High Elms, cause I know what it is like in Eynsford. Get some light pol from the M25/Swanley but because of being in the Darenth valley I am quite shielded from this. 8)

2. When do people finish up, I usually make my viewing run until about 1am at the latest, need to get up for work. :o

3. Is there much of a hike from the car park to where everyone sets up, just wondered how far I have to lug the telescope. :oops:

Si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Carole

Si,

When we use the top field for Imaging (same place at the HE open day on sunday) we can drive the cars right up to the field.  (Careful not to light pollute once people have started observing).

It's fairly dark there, particularly compared to some of our back gardens, but not sure how it compares to Eynsford, but the bonus of group observing is being able to learn from others, not to mention the time in the pub beforehand, or all evening if it's cloudy.

Make sure you meet at the pub first rather than go straight to High Elms, as instructed on the website.

If you think Eynsford is darker, we'll all come to your place next time!!!

Carole

Simon E

cool,
I'm sure i can do some burgers on the BBQ, the gardens is big enough as well :lol:

The field is ok for normal cars I take it, otherwise i'll nick the other halves 4wd. :twisted:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Carole

Yup, it's a concrete road all the way to a small car park at the top, the field is adjacent. 

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Simon E

Any chance of picking up my membership card tonight?

si

Rick

Quote from: Simon E on Sep 22, 2009, 10:20:10
Any chance of picking up my membership card tonight?
Only Tom the Treasurer has membership cards he can complete and hand out, and he doesn't usually come to observing evenings...

Carole

Try Thursday at the meeting, Tom is normally there and I have E mailed him to let him know.

Carole

Mike

So Simon... What happened? We all sat and waited for you.

We even got a brief bit of observing in up at the field when it cleared for a short period of time followed by a stint invading Mick's van.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Simon E

Sorry guys, I spent even longer painting the house than I thought, when it got dark I looked up and saw loads of clouds, :( then my other half said to me "do you want to walk down the pub with me with the dog". :D

I was then torn.....  :-? do I get drunk and walk home, or do I try my luck at cloud watching..... sorry the former won... :o

si