• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi, from sunny Eynsford

Started by Simon E, Sep 03, 2009, 12:17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Hi, just joined the forum and emailed for the club membership.

Been looking at stars on and off for the past year or so, but just moved out from Bexleyheath to Eynsford, near sevenoaks and found the skys a bit darker. :P

As the other half prefers to watch tv instead of standing outside freezing looking at little pin points in a semi black sky. I have decided to apply for a club membership.

Current scopes are a 6" orion Europa 150 reflector on a EQ mount and just got a mint NEXSTAR 8i SE with all the GOTO stuff for a fab £550......... 8)

I am also trying out taking so photos.

Camera's are currently Nixon d40 and an old Cannon 300d "Rebel" and a NEXIMAGE ccd camera, still trying to work out all the software for all this stuff. Just got hold of the Imageplus software as well which means i don't even have to use the camera remote anymore..... Still very difficult getting nice images though.... Just a learning curve I suppose. :o

Looking at taking a distant learning GCSE in Astronomy as well.

Si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mac

Greetings.

QuoteStill very difficult getting nice images though.... Just a learning curve I suppose

too true, its just long and very steep. although it shouldn't take you long to get to the end.
There are loads of us here who do Astrophotography and with their knowledge you should be taking photos in no time.

QuoteLooking at taking a distant learning GCSE in Astronomy as well

There are a few of us at the society who took this cource, have a look at the national maritime museum,
as that is where we took our one. Its probably still running and its one evening a week.

If you want to take your studies even further.
The university of central lancashire run a distance learning cource in astronomy at degree level.

http://www.studyastronomy.com/

Im on year five now, and it definatly opens your mind, this one is not for the faint hearted.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mac.

JohnP

Welcome Si  I look forward to meeting you at one of our meetings in the nr. future - John

Carole

Welcome Si,

I back up what Mac says about the GCSE course at Greenwich / National Maritime Museum, it's an excellent all round course and well worth doing. 

Hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Carole

Whitters

Welcome Si, good luck with the GCSE.

Simon E

Thanks, for the warm welcome.
si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

Help,
I have a login and introduced myself but can't seem to add any more posts anywhere or reply to any boys else's posts..... at the top of all posts i only get   Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Print
And that is it, is this a security constraint as I work for the Police :cry:

Help  :o
si

Simon E

Quote from: astrowars on Sep 07, 2009, 09:48:32
Help,
I have a login and introduced myself but can't seem to add any more posts anywhere or reply to anyone else's posts..... At the top of all posts i only get   Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Print

si

Simon E

I have just read that I can't use the forum until I am a member of the QAS, Waiting for form to turn up.... ;)
si

Ian

Si, I've moved you to non-OAS member group. It affords a little more access. When your membership is paid either Rick or I can give you full access.

Most of the site will be open to you now in any case, we just like to keep a little control over postings in the rest of the board because it cuts down on admin time :)

Simon E

Cheers mate,
I ending up emailing Caroline about the Open day at High Elms instead of repling to her post asking for help. But all sorted now. Hopefully turning up with a scope to show the public and maybe meeting some of you guys in person.
Simon

Simon E

Help,
I have a login and introduced myself but can't seem to add any more posts anywhere or reply to anybodies posts..... at the top of all posts i only get   Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Print

si

Tony G

Welcome Si,

As you will see, if you have any questions on scopes, photography or anything astronomical (and thermite experiments) someone will always have an answer, you just have to ask yourself, is it the correct one.  :)

is this a security constraint as I work for the Police :cry:

Well Ian, what do we do now? at DSC. We will just have to make sure Si stays up all night, and sleeps all day, if any experiments are to take place.

Quote from: Ian on Sep 07, 2009, 09:56:47
Si, I've moved you to non-OAS member group.

Ian, is this an example of the Police policing the Police.  :police: :police: :police: :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

Tony...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

which roughly translates to, the adminstrator is king. Be nice to the adminstrator.

BTW, the only thing that is certain about DSCs is alcohol induced amnesia.

Tony G

We'll have to do that with Si then.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson