• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

High Elms Open day 13th September

Started by Carole, Jul 28, 2009, 21:43:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have volunteered to organise this in Jim's absence. 

The event is from 12 - 4pm and is another opportunity to get members of the public interested in Astronomy and maybe attract some new members.  Look through the solar scope, and at the Moon. 

Can I have some volunteers to help with this please on the day.  Sue has already offered. 
I will also announce it at the next meeting - but in case any-one is away I have put it here too.
Please state if you are willing to bring a telescope and whether you have a solar filter. 

Thanks
Carole

Mike

Carole has someone taken the marquee off Jim to take?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Jim

I'm dropping it over to Carole this week

Carole

I also have the solar scope. 

See you all on Sunday. I now have a good number of people coming.  Don't forget your seat and food and drink.

Delphine,
Hugh,
Mike
Fay,
Simon (potential new member)
Ken
Miriam and Geoff (from 2pm)

Sue is popping in to help set up as she has the display stuff, but will not be stopping.

Carole
Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Are we allowed to park at the top car park?

What time do you want people there?

Carole

Sorry, Mike, don't know how I missed this, I think it's because of my "show unread posts since last visit" not working.  I have to go into each section individually. 

Carole

Mike

I'd like to thank everyone who turned up to assist with the Open Day at High Elms yesterday. It was a very successful day with lots of visitors and plenty of membership forms were given away so there is the possibility of a new member or two.

Carole

I would like to echo what Mike has said.  Every-one turned up to help who said they would.  With a nice number of people there it gives those who are there all day a chance to have a break. 

Many thanks to all. 

Carole

Carole

Photos of the event:

Our stall:  (Despite Delphine's pose which suggests the contrary, there was virtually no sunshine, so we were unable to use the scopes except as exhibits).

Hugh talking to a member of the public.

Close up on Fay's beautiful framed images:

Other display material, including Hugh's Moon lander model.

Carole