• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from John Clark

Started by john.clark, Jul 24, 2009, 07:30:39

Previous topic - Next topic

john.clark

Hello,

I have just moved to Tonbridge from West Norfolk; and joined OAS last night.

My main astronomical interest over the last three years has been the Solar System. In particular, I have been looking at how to work out orbits by tracking the movements of planets and their satellites.  I wrote up some of my early efforts as a book, which is now out – the OAS library has a copy.  In this book I set myself the objective that none of this had to require expensive equipment, and no calculation had to be harder than A-level maths.  In fact, most of it can be done with GCSE maths; and it can all be done with a 6 inch telescope and a webcam –a 4.5 inch telescope would probably suffice.

I have moved on to try and develop more advanced techniques.  I can now reliably measure a planet's position to within 2.5 arc seconds of the published position, and have a new telephoto lens for my DSLR which seems to be capable of better than one arc second on clear nights.  Much of it actually comes down to having very good tracking on the mount, and a secondary guiding telescope and camera, rather than to having especially good optics.

If I want to get the distance to the nearest stars I will need to figure out how to plot their positions to within a tenth of an arc second.... :evil:

Carole

Welcome John, I  think I saw you last night.  Welcome to the light polluted skies of the SE, although hopefully they are better where you are in Tonbridge. 

If you've got a webcam we look forward to seeing some of your images on the gallery and posted in these forum's.  See Rick's instructions on how to do this in the Astrophotography section right at the top. 

You'll find us a friendly bunch. 

With your book and special interest you may feel like giving us a talk at one of our member's evenings.  We now have two members with books published, congratulations.

Carole

Mac

Greetings. :cheesy:

and a warm welcome.

Mac.

doug

Hi John.  Nice to meet you last night ..... I and my wife were sitting next to you ..... and I must have a look at your book when we go to the next meeting.  That sounds interesting!!  Are you coming to the public demo this Saturday at the BEECHE; if so see you there,

Rose and Doug. :)
Always look on the bright side of life ...

JohnP

Hi From me also... I was the 2nd 'John' in the carpark before the meeting....

John

Jim

Welcome John and nice to meet you yesterday. We'll have to have you up at the next members evening, sounds like you're doing some interesting stuff. Thanks very much for adding your book to the library.