• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

November DSC

Started by Carole, Jul 09, 2009, 21:56:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Just copied this from the dates for your diary:

QuoteFri 13th - Mon 26th Nov
Deep Sky Camp

I assume this should read 13 - 16th November. 

Carole

Ian

due to the closure of woodlands, we'll be back at Tuesnoad. It'll be due to finish on the 16th but it'll take 10 days to get the cars back out of the field...

Tony G

If Woodlands is close, we could see about http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/

I'll phone them tomorrow, if I get a chance and see if they are open in November.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Blacklands Farm looks pretty good Tony, inclduing showers and washing up sink.  No hook up though.

It's probably a bit further than our usual DSC but what the hell if it's good skies.  What are the skies like there Tony?

When you ring them can you also find out what the state of the ground is like in the winter, especially the entrance way.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

The enterance is concrete and they have caravan hard standing, the fields will be wet and thier is power, but I don't know if they will be open, unless we can tak them into it.

Chris

Tony G

Spoke to them today, and emailed them as well, due to the person answering the phone being quite busy, but he did say they were closed in January or February for a time, and that an email was better to get some info. So that is what I did, and I used spelcheque and everyfink to make me look intelly  interlec smart, and that we were a caring, nature loving society, that was not interested in shooting, fireworks, experiments and khoom fays. So we should get in, no problem.  ;)

Tony G

PS.........................Didn't mention the large amount of alcohol which is usually consumed though.  :D
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

If it is open we will go there. Thanks Tony.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

did anyone mention the fishing lake?

Tony G

I could easily get a 15lb common carp on my BBQ  ;)

Tony G

Ian

which is where it's likely to stay.

Hugh Fearlessly-Eatitall tried Carp on one of his river cottage programs. He said it tasted like mud.

Tony G

Yeah! and your point is?  :roll:

(Mississippi MUD pie)

Hugh Fearlessly-Eatitall only said that because all the crap that he cooks makes everything taste like MUD.  :D

Tony G

Tony G

Hi All,

I've had a reply back from Blackland's, and they are closed in Jan and Feb, but no exact dates as yet. I suppose if we were to contact them with dates for the winter DSC nearer the time, they may well accommodate us if Woodlands is closed.

Anyway here are the prices which they sent me.

Prices
(Off Peak)

* Blacklands Farm                      : £5.00 per person per night.
* Children 2 – 14yrs                   : £2.50 per night.
* Dogs                                      : £1 per dog per night; but must be on a lead at all times.
* Electrical hook-up                    : £3.00 per night (12amp)
* Gazebo                                   : £8 per night (Fri-Sun & Bank Holidays only)   
* Fishing                                               : £5 per rod per day payable here.

Peak:
(All Bank Holidays)
£7.00 per person per night
Children Under 2 Free
Children 2 – 14yrs £3.50 per night
Dogs £1.00 per night;  but must be on a lead at all times.
Electrical hook-up £3.00 per night (12 amp)
Gazebo £8.00 per night
Fishing £5.00 per rod per day

*(If you wish to fish you will require a Licence. Experienced fishermen only as we have
      some very big fish and eels in the lake.)
* We do not allow fires on site. You may bring a BBQ or Firepit/basket but please bring
bricks if you intend to use a disposable BBQ.
* No wood fires please, Small Coal or Charcoal fires only contained in a firepit.
* Our Showers are family sized and are free, they do get busy in the mornings but have
   constant hot running water and are open for use all day long. , Please be considerate to
   other campers with the time taken to shower.
* Check in time is between 9am and 8.30pm.   No vehicles in or out after 11.00 pm.
*  We ask that all visitors leave the site by 10.30 and no noise after 11.00 pm.       
*  Please respect the site and other campers and use the skips provided for rubbish.           
* Checkout time is before 12 pm. These times are flexible!
* NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT PLEASE.
Andrew at ACE taxis has given us a flat rate taxi fare from Hassocks station to the campsite. He charges £10 instead of £14
ACE TAXI'S 01273 835835.

http://www.blacklands-farm-campsite.co.uk

Tony G

Mike

I think we should organise an adhoc DSC before November to give it a trial run. Some time in Sept or Oct?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Count me in for Sep or Oct.

Simon E

Is this still on, if so where will it be? 8)

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras