• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier Progress

Started by Fay, Jun 27, 2009, 18:33:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Easier to get pier up garden on wheelbarrow. It would need 3 people to carry it! The bottom is 18" round. The height just over 39"

Safely upright!

Mount Seating

Mount in position. Also got a round shelf that will be handy, but wonder if the Orion will bang into it when pointing at the zenith.

Started off looking like V2, with it's fins, It could be a nice sundial or bird table!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Crikey Fay, that's a whoppa!!!  It doesn't look like it'll need the concrete...

Mac

nice sundial, what was the time?

Fay

A heavy whoppa!!!!!

The Thing

Some big tent pegs and your fixed! Now you just have to dig up the lawn and plant the cables back to the nice warm house...

Fay

Can't push my luck, Duncan, afraid I will still be out in the frost & cold!!!!

Just hoping all goes well.....would not like to have to dig it up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to do hole & hopefully fill it in, this week. Depends on how much influence I have!!!!       

Mike

Where did you get the pier from Fay?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

thats a large black ribbed one   :o

Fay

Chris....behave and take Frodo for a walk!

Mike, Pulsar Optical

Daniel

I want one!............I also want your garden to go with it!

Fay

Daniel, do not know whether to dig a hole for it or launch it!

Tony G

Fay.

now you have positioned your new pier, it looks like the next project is converting the house into a bungalow to get a lovely Southernly view.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

What a good idea, Tony!!!!!!

Fay

I have had a really bad day! Below is the ballast for "the hole" 2 more bags were bought.
We have had a lot of words about size & my requirements, but John was adamant it only needs to be 2' and no more. I read out the rules, that if it is a failure, he will have to kanga it up & start again!! I wanted 3-4' deep with a flare at the bottom.  

So 2' it is then, I was not a happy bunny, it was a hectic day anyway.  

It is 2" above the ground

I got up this morning & cleaned the living room, 8.30 hairdresser arrived, 10.30 Jeff, from the club arrived. Jeff is the man with glasses & a beard, he has already put the same pier into his observatory, so would have a few tips, being that no directions came with it. He was briefed on the situation at the front door.  He came over with some helpful materials but...........too late, the hole lwas already being filled. eff  had done a 4' one, & related the tale, that he could not climb out of it. His neighbour was on holiday for the week & there was no one else around. I said he could have ended up as his own hardcore :lol: he got his shovel & made a mound of earth which he stood on to get out. After that he took a ladder down!

Anyway, as he arrived, Nat west rang to update me on the fact that they, or Nationwide, have lost my ISA transfer cheque, this has gone on for 2 weeks. Nationwide would not discuss it with Natwest, so I had to do act as mediator, as I have done since it happened.

The car had gone in for a £500 service....phone call to say it would be more & ended up £800!!

Matt came over fresh from Cyprus, & went on & on about how we were ripped off for the service, quoting itemised jobs on list such as, "tested seat belt" & " checked light came on at back" he said those 2 things would have cost £50 to do on their own. This went on for about 2 hours!!

He would have been good in the gestapo!!

Anyway, it is finished and I can only hope this is the end of it, John said it is the worst job he has done, but it would not have been like that if he had done what I said!

Please God, it is ok & I align it ok, & it does not move, & does not tip up....................................... & IT TURNS OUT DEEP ENOUGH!

ps.
yesterday i rang the sign shop in New Eltham to see if he was there, as I wanted a piece of perspex, he said he would be there at 11.30. Went down there....not there...rang him..had to go out, would be back by 2pm. Rang him around 2, he was there, went down, parked on slope outside shop & got perspex, went to go, reversed & car stalled, so tried to restart & would not start. Seemed like same problem as last week when battery would not hold charge.

Ended up half way across the road, called AA, came in 30 mins, everything that was big, was trying to get around the corner, I was blocking.
Ali, in the perspex shop, came out with a chair.........no way I was sitting on that........would I like a cup of tea... :lol: :lol:. I was not exactly traumatised, (that was going to happen the next day.)

AA came, & felt a bit of a prat, as it was my fault..................not sure what happened, but could not get keys out,  should have realised car not in P.  I think I must have been halfway between N & R, as it was completely dead on startup......................

mickw

Sounds like you're making a mountain  out of a molehole  ;)

The ultimate pier mount would be a hole dug to the core of the earth then filled in with a gazillion tons of concrete.
However you choose to mount a pier, it will generally be an improvement over a mere tripod.

I would be interested to see a real direct comparison between a tripod image and a pier mounted image.  I suspect us mere mortals will not be able to distinguish

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional