• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

...and from the school of bad science journalism...

Started by Rick, Jun 14, 2009, 22:06:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

German lad hit by 30,000 mph meteorite

A 14-year-old German lad survived a close encounter with a meteorite when a pea-sized piece of rock which had entered Earth's atmosphere at 30,000 mph left him with nothing more than a "nasty" three-inch gash on his hand.

According to the Telegraph, Gerrit Blank was on his way to school in Essen when a bright light in the sky heralded the arrival of the red-hot space rock. It bounced off his hand before embedding itself in a foot-wide crater in the ground.

More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/12/meteorite_strike/

More: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31322855/?GT1=43001

Mike

If he was hit at 30000mph by even a grain of sand he would have been vaporised.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I think they didn't fact check any of the details...

30,000 mph? Not by the time it reaches ground level, especially if it's pea-sized.
Red hot? No way.
Foot-wide crater? Not if it had bounced off his hand first, and not if it's pea-sized.

Ian

well I suppose having taken apart that much of the story, I suppose we can conclude that what actually happened was a middle aged donkey was struck on the tail by a small ball earwax flung from a mouse below.

Mac

Assuming that the speed and size were correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA.

The Kinnetic energy of the object = 1/2 * m *v^2

Assuming the mass of the object is 5g
30000mph = 13333 meters per sec.
0.5 * 0.005 *13333 * 13333 = ~0.5 million J

Put into perspective.

Family car 1500Kg speed 72mph = 32 mps-1
Energy = 0.5 * 1500 *32*32= ~0.5 Million J

Its going to do some damage when it hit his arm.
Hmmmmmmmmmm