• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pluto..

Started by Mac, Apr 19, 2009, 21:11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

After spending all night last night, getting to grips with guiding, finally.

I decided to have a go at pluto, whilst i was waiting for the moon..

Its quite hard to tell exactly which is pluto, as my sky map dosent go any lower then mag 15.

and these are the results.

william optics ED90, F7 H9 60 secs 2*2 Binned.

skymap pro image, showing highlighted stars & Pluto.

Same image with stars highlighted. and pluto in red.

Plain Image.

Daniel

Wow, that's cool, I hadn't bothered trying Pluto thinking our light polution would be too much, You've inspired me to have a bash once my mount's fixed.

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Nice Mac - Now you've found it you need to do an animation over a month or so... that would be impressive...

Tony G

Well done Mac,

I think the colour image is a bit under developed (what camera did you use for this image), as there are no backround stars (must have been a short exposure), and it was a good job you got rid of the dust bunnies by the time you got the third image, as all the dust bunnies were obscuring the main stars and Pluto, would you believe it. ;)

But seriously Mac, great image and it would be great as JohnP said, to do an animation, but with the weather the way that it is, that is doubtful.
Well that's one many of us can only think about imaging, so well done again.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Well that must be a 1st for the society...

MarkS

Nice one Mac!

Mark

Ian

cool. Do we have a Pluto section in the gallery? We'll have sort that out now.

By the way, what planetarium software are you using? I've got a few catalogues that I could stick on DVD or HDD for you...

Carole

Wow, that's amazing.
Carole

Fay

Great Mac. At least you are on your way!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteBy the way, what planetarium software are you using?
I mainly use starry night, & ocasionally skymap pro 10.

But I used skymap this time for the star chart,
as the Pc i use for posting to the internet only has skymap installed.

i'd be interested in the catalogues, cheers.

Forgot to add that it was with a light pol filter as well.

QuoteNow you've found it you need to do an animation over a month or so... that would be impressive...

with the weather, that should be quite easy, as we only get clear skies once a month :lol:

RobertM

Excellent capture Mac.  You've certainly nailed it there, as John mentioned a time lapse over a month would be great and prove beyond a doubt that it was Pluto (not that there was any!).  I thought I had Pluto last year on one of my DSLR shots but there were so many stars merging into each other that it was difficult to tell at that scale. 

Mike

:(

You b*****d!! You beat me to it.

Well done.

Get an animation to PROVE it's Pluto ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteYou b*****d!! You beat me to it.
QuoteGet an animation to PROVE it's Pluto

will do.

I'm hoping that saturday nights going to be clear, as its the only night that im free,

If it is then i'll try again and get another shot, i'll do more exposures this time and stack them,

Looking at skymap, it should have moved quite a bit.

JohnP

looks something like 30arcsecs/day according to SMP11. A 90mm aperture at f7 with an H9 binned 2X2 gives an image scale of approx' 4.2 arcsec/pixel so should move something like 7 pixels/day.... so you should definitely see movement.

Mac - I didn't realize you must have been up late to get this & you must have a good south horizon.... I couldn't get this from my garden...

John

Ian

Mac, didn't get a chance to talk this evening. If you want those catalogues, probably the best bet is for me to put them on a usb hard drive for you. They're over 10 Gig...