• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Sun, four pane mosaic, early test

Started by Daniel, Apr 16, 2009, 00:06:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, I got this image today through the misty cloud which was everywhere, this isn't the final image, but I wanted to post this version anyway, you can see the join lines in this one still, so that needs fixing.

Anyway, as mentioned above it's a 4 pane mosaic taken through the double stacked lunt with the DMK21AU

Daniel
:O)

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Looks promising. Tricky business getting the joins to look seamless. What scope are you using?

Daniel

Hi Rick, this was taken through the Double stacked Lunt LS50 with b1200 blocking filter. matching the joins is indeed tough with this, mainly because it's only a 4 pane mosaic and to be honest it could have done with being a 6 pane mosaic so I'd have a bit more to work with on the overlaps. I also wish I'd tuned the etalon a little more so that I didn't have the hotspots on the disk i had to get rid of.

Daniel

JohnP

Looks Good Daniel & at least you don't suffer sleep deprivation getting these images (unless of course you work nights...) ... John   :lol:

Daniel

Not long and I'll be back to sleep deprivation, I put my mount into David Hinds last week and it should be fixed by next week, so cue the month of non stop rain!

JohnP

That'll be good - Hopefully he won't charge you an 'arm & a leg' to fix it.... Sun/ Mon look good if you can get it back....

John

Fay

I think that is really good Daniel. I can only see a hazier line across the middle, if that is a join
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI can only see a hazier line across the middle, if that is a join

Ditto

Looks good to me, what a quiescent sun this is.

Carole

Daniel

Yep, that's the join, Im currently putting together a 14 pane mosaic I also took that day, unfortunately there are a few areas missing on it and the join lines are even harder to get rid of on account of the cloud coming over as i was imaging it, there's definitely more detail in the big one since I used a 2x barlow, but it's a bit more grainy than this one.

Here's an early version, still haven't sorted out seams and stuff, and to be honest because of the conditions I took it under I might not finish it properly, rather wait till I get it on a good day. You can see the image looks better on the top right than the bottom left, which is what i was imaging when the clouds rolled in.

This is half res, unfortunately Flickr won't let me upload anything above 1280 pixels

Daniel

JohnP

QuoteLooks good to me, what a quiescent sun this is.

I thought it looked quite active to me - lots of prominences around the edge....? Just goes to show what I know... :-(

RobertM

That looks really impressive Daniel.  Even though it's a mosaic I'd be hard pressed to notice the joins but knowing it's made up of 4 panes helps.

Ian

Looks really good Daniel.

However, is it valid to do a mosaic of the sun in this way? The bit you didn't image will have rotated out of sight by the time you get the middle frames imaged.

Just wondered...

Daniel

Hi Ian, i was wondering that myself, but i do everything in quite quick succession at 60FPS so when I'm aligning the mosaic, everything is still pretty much lining up, the annoying thing is that once you've gone through and done the actual disk, you have to go through again and capture the prominences with a longer exposure to see them better.

Daniel

Fay

Would Layer/ Masking help in that instance, Daniel?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!