• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

m63 Coma Corrector test

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 03, 2009, 22:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

ok, not a good image, the scopewas a little misaligned and the gym and carpark lights were on, but the coma corrector is nearly setup very well.

RobertM

Not looking too shabby, what were capture details.

After hearing about their magical qualities for all types of scopes I bought one and used it on the SCT@F10/450d with the moon last night, not perfect but it definitely improves the edges.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I think the spacing is critical at 55mm, the scope was also out of collimation, so there is vast room for improvement, to be honest I wanted to see if the flocking stayed on as well, it did, so 80% of the way there, when I get the spacing right and the collimation right this will be a great little scope, a keeper.

Also I won't be imaging M63 with it again, its too small :-) but yes not that shabby, half a mood and loads of high cloud :-(

Chris

RobertM

F5 isn't it ? Image scale is about 1.7 arcsec/pixel at that, with a rather handy 750mm f/l.  Maybe a 1000-1200 mm is ideal for this galaxy but it does depend a lot on seeing as to whether you'd get more benefit at those.  I rather like the scale myself.  In fact since you used the scope at Lydd I've put an ad in for an 8" F4 on ukbuy and sell...

Rocket Pooch

So thats me, you and Fay who are all newters, cool.  That image looks awful, I loaded a JPG from AIP, lost photoshop at the moment, but it will be ok when I get photoshop loaded again, it was 14x5 minute subs with a CLS filter, here's M3 thought light cloud with a Neodium filter.

Rocket Pooch

Rob,

Was just looking at the sky ADU at my place and its approx 6800 on these images and M63 arms are approx 6950, I remember the sky in Lydd was about 2000 without any pollution filter, so this would be a whole bunch better down there!

Chris

JohnP

I've still got a 6-inch f5 that came with my LXD75.... but i never use it (or at least not at the mo...) - John

Rocket Pooch

You know if might be worth a try you only need 1/4 mirror to get good results.

JohnP

Yep - I might give it a go next time out then & see what I get... although, it's been down my shed & so is probably full of spiders....  :lol:

Fay

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Which coma corrector are you using?  It seems to be doing a good job.

P.S. I like the images.  M3 looks very good at that scale and M63 looks like a fascinating target.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Its an MPCC from Baader, seems to work ok, I just need to try it again soon.

RobertM

Nice images Chris, the conditions haven't be the best recently so I think you've done really well.  The gradients are quite even to so should be easy enough to get rid of with PS.

Rocket Pooch

I must admit, I have become very fond of that little Newtonian, it seems to match quite a few targets very well :-)

But we do need some clear nights, last weekend in France was a wash out :-( so no images to prove for all the travelling.....

Anyway, maybe this weekend?