• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cloud Sensor Project - Part 2

Started by Mike, Feb 02, 2009, 07:33:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

After an absence of several months I have revisited the Cloud Sensor Project.

I have made some client software for the Cloud Sensor. Please can you try the software. Versions are below for Linux, Windows and OSX :-

LINUX:  http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Filez/CloudClientLinux.zip
WINDOWS:  http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Filez/CloudClientWindows.zip
OSX:  http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Filez/CloudClientMacOSX.zip

If it works, this should connect to the Cloud Sensor Server which is uploading data from the Cloud Sensor in the garden and you should see a graph showing the data from the two sensors.

Please let me know if it works or not for you.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Well its 12:17, and according to your software
Ground sensor is -0.06
Sky sensor is -0.37
And its saying its cloudy.
This is on Windows XP Pro, SP3.

Looks like its working fine.
Mac :D

Update. 12:33
Still running fine, auto scale on graph works ok,
ground -0.25
sky -0.43

Only problem is the dark blue is a tad hard to read.

Fay

I would say that Mike's cloud sensor is being a bit economic with the current situation saying "cloudy"
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Yea well it was obviously only going to say cloudy on a day like today. I really wanted to make sure the client/server side of things worked. Thanks Mac it appears to be doing it's job.

I'll work on a version where the user can choose what colour they want the lines to be.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Mike - I tried windows vers at 2.15pm & didn't seem to do anything - have you taken it off line? John

Mike

It was offline for only about 30 seconds. Did you close it down and restart it?

Mike

If necessary, open Port 27539 on your router.

JohnP

Mike

Mike

The Server may be on and off for the next few hours as I do some code updates. If your client doesn't connect then try again later.

Mac

Just out of interest how many connections can it support?

Mike

It should be unlimited. The server program simply sends out a simple text string through a specified port. That string contains the data values for 4 sensors (2 of which are not graphed. Internal Temp plus Light Sensor).

The client connects to the server IP address and port and listens for a send. When it hears one it reads in the text string. From then on it is processed into the graph.

Why do you ask?

Mac

Mike

Wow. At 05:07 this morning the temperature went down to -6.75 degrees C.

MarkS

Yes, it was very cold.

I came to work by train instead of bike today because the roads were covered in ice.  Yesterday, in spite of the snow, at least they weren't icy.

Mark