• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another Horsehead Failure

Started by MarkS, Jan 04, 2009, 11:50:18

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is the best of my recent Horsehead failures.
Only 10 of 24 subs were remotely usable because of the increasingly bad transparency.

Modified Canon EOS 350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 focal reducer and CLS filter.
10 x 5min subs.

I can't be bothered to remove the background gradients.

Daniel

Ok, I think i'll be showing my inexperience when I say this but.........what's wrong with this image? doesn't look too noisy, the stars look perfectly round and as you said, the rest can be processed away (this one's crying out for Noel carboni's reduce vertical noise)

The clarity in the image is great, especially with only 10 subs.

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

I must admit as well Mark looks brill to me - I'd be well chuffed with that...

What are the semi-circular lines at 9'0clock position on LHS - I've not seen this before...Is it flare from Alnitak?

John

MarkS

Daniel,

What's wrong with the image - well, it's never going to win image of the month is it? ;-)

Technically it is O.K. but the conditions prevented me getting the perfect image I'm after.  I was planning to go out to a dark site last night to grab a few hours imagaing but the forecast changed for the worse so I sensibly decided not to go.

BTW,  your new Hyperstar setup is simply crying out to be used at a dark site - the results would be phenomenal!  Maybe the February DSC?

Mark

MarkS

John,

Thanks John.

Yes, it must be flare form Altinak.  I don't quite know why it creates that curious effect though.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Thats internal reflection from the scope, try another bright star the other side you will get the same, the dark images will emphasise it.

Chris

P.S. I like the image just crop the horsey out.

Daniel

Mark, what I wouldn't give to try the hyperstar under a dark sky, who know's I may be able to do exposures all the way up to 2 minutes! :P

I'm going to try to make it to the february DSC, and hopefully finally sort out a membership too. My only problem will be getting the huge SCT and mount down to tuesnoad. Might see If I can hire a van and get my mate to drive me down.

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Looks great if you ignore the odd lighting effects caused by Alnitak.  As Chris has suggested do a crop and you won't see them.

MarkS

I've done some gradient removal.  Here is the final result:

Rocket Pooch

RobertM

Mark, you've done a really excellent job there, good guiding too.

Whitters

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

With Mark's permission I have done a little Photoshop processing on his image and removed the artifact on the left so he doesn't need to crop the image.

Carole

Carole

Bugger, posted the thumbnail again.  I never learn!!!

Try again:

Carole