• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Hyperstar test, M42 (I know, yet again) 95x30s ISO 320

Started by Daniel, Jan 04, 2009, 05:47:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Well, I finally got the hyperstar up and running tonight, unfortunately this was taken later on in the evening when the mist started rolling in, that said, Im massively impressed with it.

This was only a dry run so I only barely tinkered with the colimation and it's a little off, also I had trouble making flats on the C14 so I had a lot of problems with gradients.

Using live view with the hyperstar is great, I can see so many stars in real time which is handy for centering (even though this image is a little off, i was being lazy tonight, I really didn't expect to get anything) I can even see m42's nebulosity in real time through it

It's not the greatest image of M42, but considering I was stuck at 30s for subs because of the mist and the flats went all wrong (I was shining a torch onto a blanket) Im still very impressed especially since Im able to stretch the image quite a lot without introducing noise because of the low iso/exposure time im able to get away with. and the massive amount of subs I can get very quickly (this is just under 50 mins worth)

Anyway, here it is

Daniel
:O)

Fay

You will be a force to reckoned with, with the Hyperstar, Daniel. 30 secs subs, I would be well happy with this image!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Fay, stay away from the Hyperstar shop :-)

Very good Daniel, :-)

Fay

Chris, people that can read my mind make me nervous :D

MarkS

Well done Daniel!  That's a great first light and certainly shows the capability of your Hyperstar. I've been looking forward to seeing it for a long time. 

The stars look pin-sharp from here and you've effortlessly captured the faint nebulosity  - which was very difficult last night given the conditions (I had yet another failure to capture the Horsehead).

The diffraction spikes are certainly interesting!  I guess their shape is due to have a big lump of a DSLR camera sitting in front of the corrector plate.

Was it the feathertouch focuser you used last night?  Where does it sit?

I think you may have slightly oversharpened the image - the larger stars have dark halos around them.

However, I can't see any strange effects caused by filters - did you use one one?

Nice one - if that is a quick test I'm looking forward to the real thing!

Mark

Mac

very very nice,

If thats a lazy photo, then i cant wait to see the good photos.

How long before you start sending them to APOD?

Mac.

Daniel

Thanks guy's, Mark, your right, I did indeed very lazily over sharpen the image, should really have used layer masking for selective sharpening. Interestingly enough there was absolutely no noise in this image until I did add sharpening, so I may re-process it again with a bit more care (this was a quick knock up I did at 5 in the morning)

The diffraction spikes are indeed from the strange shaped DSLR sticking out from the secondary, as well as it's USB lead.

I've used a CLS filter with this, though I did play with the colour to get a more natural look.

The feathertouch focuser is essential with the hyperstar as the area of focus is about 0.8 microns!!!!! It replaces your mirror shift focus on the back of the SCT, takes seconds to install (you take the knob off the focuser and screw the feathertouch over it) and it gives you dual speed with 10/1 reduction if needed.

By the way, what was wrong with the horsehead you posted? it's got a mean gradient which will be tough to get out (that transparency last night was a pain), but it looks great, especially for F6.3 I have nightmares guiding at that focal length.

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Hi Daniel,

That's unbelievable! especially for a dry run ... even better than I thought Hyperstar would be.  They've certainly ironed out any problems from the earlier versions.  30s means no guiding either... imaging heaven !!!

Whitters

First light, Serious wow factor...
Can't wait till DSC when we can wheel Fay off to BCF to see if they sell Hyperstar.  :twisted:

Fay

Don't tempt me, Paul!!!!!

I may not buy many handbags but am still a woman & like an excuse to buy something!!! Unfortunately these items are 100 times more expensive than a handbag!

Rocket Pooch

Fay, I beg to differer on that comment, Paul I'll come with you, its not the Hyperstar, its the C14, AP900 and the other bits she will need help with.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/03/11/louis-vuitton-tribute-patchwork-bag-worlds-most-expensive-ha/

Whitters

Fay