• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33/ modifed webcam, M33 Atik 314L

Started by Fay, Nov 01, 2008, 09:03:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I was very happy with my webcam M33

but things change with a bit more knowledge & better equipment

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Fay,

This is why I said about doing a talk at High Elms on the imaging day for people like me (novices), as you can see, the vast difference in the images in such a short period of time is fantastic, and can you imaging what they will be like in another couple of years.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

So how much of the difference is down to the optics, the camera, the processing, etc.?

MarkS

Quote from: Rick
So how much of the difference is down to the optics, the camera, the processing, etc.?

Most of it, I would think ...

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 01, 2008, 21:46:22Most of it, I would think ...
:twisted: Talk-to-pedant-mode on! Thwap! :twisted:

How much of the difference is down to the optics?
How much of the difference is down to the camera?
How much of the difference is down to the processing?
How much of the difference is down to other factors?

;)

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Fay

As Mark says, Rick, all have a contributing factor.
If any one of the following was missing:

better telescope & camera
more knowledge in processing
aquiring the image with guiding knowledge
more patience

a better image would not be possible.

Fay

JohnP

Fay - did you those 2Xm33 with the same scope.... i.e. ED80? if so telescope contributes 0%.... :-) John

Fay

Yes, you are correct, that does eliminate the telescope. Very observant John.   

Rocket Pooch

Rick I would think appart from the scope quite a bit is down to the camera and the guiding, but the main element is experiencing here, I have seen some very good web cam pictures and some dam awful 314l images. 

I don't think this is something which could be easily quantified, although technically we could work out the camera specs and also the sky conditions and also the S/N.

But I can't be bothered...

Rick

ATIK 314L: Sony ICX285AL ExView sensor. 1392x1040 pixels, with 6.45um. Readout noise 4e RMS
Webcam: 640x480?

Fay

I think that the points I made relate to a general improvement, whatever image, in equipment & experience, when going from a basic  setup to a more sophisticated arrangement.   

The ED80 would not make a big difference in overall improvement alone, without the other considerations, as can be seen in the first image. I am not saying the second one is amazing, it is just a lot better.

JohnP

Rick,

QuoteATIK 314L: Sony ICX285AL ExView sensor. 1392x1040 pixels, with 6.45um. Readout noise 4e RMS
Webcam: 640x480?

Agreed camera does make a big difference but at the same time what both Chris & Fay has said is true. Fay's progress in this hobby is unbelievable... You can have the best camera in the world but if you don't know how to polar align, know how to run two scopes & camera's simultaneously, track objects to sub pixel accuracy for mins at a time and of course process to extract all the data from those those photons then your images will still be crap....

You can also learn how to add diffraction spikes if you want as well....

John...

Ian

Quote from: JohnP on Nov 02, 2008, 13:33:41

You can also learn how to add diffraction spikes if you want as well....

Stoppit... :D

Rocket Pooch

fay was it the sc1 or sc3 on the older image?