• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sorry - yet another nebula in Cepheus

Started by RobertM, Oct 30, 2008, 11:55:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Just got around to processing this image of Sh2-142 and associated Open Cluster NGC7380 captured on 11th Oct.  It's not great but most of the subs were 20mins which is what the objective was to try at the time.  This target need a lot more subs and some OIII or colour to give it sparkle.

Usual culprits of Sky90@f/4.5 and SXV-H9 with Astronomik 13nm Ha

4 x 10 min + 6 x 20 min, captured stacked and DDP stretched in MaximDL, noise reduction in PS.

Unfortunately I underestimated the dew problem so subs 8-10 had bad dewing issues, I gave up after that.

Link to all sizes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29673723@N04/2984510577/

(Experimenting to fix Flickr image link - Rick)

Rocket Pooch

its looks very nice, have you seen a false colour one at all?  kinda curious to see what its like.

RobertM

Not sure I've seen one in False colour but if I ever shake this flu and we get a dark night then I might shoot more Ha and some OIII to find out.

JohnP

Robert mate - don't be sorry - it's great to see unusual images - that neb looks very interesting - looks great especially seeing you were doing 20min subs... stars are nice and round...

Hope you feel better soon,  John

Fay

20 min subs, Robert, that is amazing! Looks nice & crisp.

Hope you feel better
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Not at all bad Robert.  It's an interesting image.   But you're just one day too late to get in the calendar!

RobertM

Yes the calendar ... I'm writing my reply looking at Chris's Lagoon Nebula from the 2008 version, a very nice image indeed.  There certainly seems a awful lot of images to choose from this year but I don't think this would have been a candidate given I'd posted it a day earlier. 

Rocket Pooch

I thought Fay's was in last year?

That nebula is apparently orange/red?

Fay

No, I have not gone this one, Chris.
I have programmed a couple of Sharpless objects into the handset but intend to do more.

Mike

Nice image Robert. A close up of that central section would make a very nice image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Sorry my brain is still a bit scrambled but it is definitely the 2008 Calendar and it says 'Lagoon Nebula by Chris Suddell' underneath.  To be picky, it is a tad pink, but not shockingly so.

Nick name for this nebula is 'The Wizard' apparently.  If you rotate it anti-clockwise by about 90 degrees I guess it does kind of look like an old man with a pointy cap sitting on a chair with his hand outstreched.

Fay

Robert, was this the image that you left running while you were at Mike's? If not, how did that one come out?

Fay 

RobertM

No Fay that was of ngc7331 and friends but when I got home they were all slightly out of focus - nothing ventured ...