• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

What to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon...

Started by JohnP, Oct 26, 2008, 13:48:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Well inspired by Daniel's M42 I thought I'd have another go at the one I took in Les Granges. The problem was I didn't take multiple exposures when I was there to enable me to Layer Masking for the core so what I have done is process the Ha data using 2 different types of stretches (one for the outer stuff & one more to keep detail in the core) - I then mask Layered these in Pshop & added to my original RGB data.

New image certainly has more in the core & more contrast in the nebula regions - this was only 12X3min Ha subs so not too bad... I have posted new image on top & original underneath so you can compare. Top is slightly more noisey & so could probably do with a despeckle or noise reduction...

Cheers,  John.

Reprocessed...

Original...

Daniel

That's much better, I especially love the whisp of dark nebulosity across M43, might have to have a go at narrowbanding this one myself, A seperate Ha pass added into the red channel of my colour horsehead did wonders, you've got some really nice airy disks on those stars too.

Daniel.
:O)

JohnP

Cheers Daniel - Yep adding Ha to yours would I'm sure make it into an amazing image... :-)

I might increase red satutration a 'tad' on mine or play with using the Ha channel as the Red in the RGB...

Thks again,  John

Daniel

Funny you should mention saturation, I've just been working on that on my image, just swapped out the image on my original post.

Fay

John, that is great. Can't wait to have a go myself!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay... I've just checked & FOV with WOZS66 your 314L & the 0.8X flattener should be perfect...... John

RobertM

That's very nice John.  Never noticed the monkeys face in it before ...

Rocket Pooch

Thats really good, see it is worthwhile it raining from time to time.

Honest.

JohnP

Thks Robert.... Me neither.... It's a 'smiling Monkey as well... :-)

Cheers Chris - Yep Rain is good for practising the old techniques... Still got no idea how the hell you process your RGB so effortlessly....

John

MarkS

It's made a big difference - nice one!

JohnP

Cheers Mark - I must admit I am quite chuffed with this... John