• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33 Les Granges RGB

Started by Fay, Oct 06, 2008, 19:52:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

M33 16x300secs Atik 314L, WO ZS66, Ha, no darks or flats.

I have worked for hours trying to get this processing correct. Every time I did it, it was too blue. I have read & concentrated on advice from Olly in France & this is the best I could come up with before going insane.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Fay,

Another excellent image with great detail.  My suspicion (and I've never tried) is that this one is more difficult to process than the Andromeda Galaxy.  You've done a good job there but the background might be a tad noisy.

Very nice.

Mark

Fay

Yes, I could have overdone it.

Fay

This is the luminance of M33

Mac

again fantastic image.

I bet you are plaesed as punch.

RobertM

Luminance looks really good and I'd agree the image may be too blue (actually it looks like green).  I think it's easy to over cook this one as the whole galaxy is surrounded by an exceptionally faint halo which is very difficult to process, you've done a very good job though.

Daniel

Really lovely, fantastic contrast while still keeping the whispyness, and some great detail on NGC 604. Maybe the core is a little more blown out than needs be, but that could be processed out easily, what you could do is process 2 seperate images, one aggressively to bring out the faint detail and one less aggressively for the more dense detail in the core, then use a layer mask to blend the two together.

By the way, Robert, i know what you mean by that halo, Im currently processing it in the data I got last night and it's really hard to stop it looking fuzzy like some noisy light polution instead

RobertM

I'm processing M33 too, just a bit reticent about publishing it after all this lot!

Daniel

I know what you mean, despite having 4 times as much exposure time as Fay's, my one can't compare.

Carole

Looks fabulous to me Fay.  If I've understood correctly, with no darks there is amazingly little noise especially away from the nebula.

Carole

Jim

Fay, that's really lovely. One for the calender I think.

Fay

Thanks for your comments. I will have another go at the RGB M33 as I think I can do better. I was pleased that I combined the frames ok & have remembered a lot of info that Olly, in France, gave me. There are a few bits I will have to clarify.

Chris & John are a lot better at processing than myself, as we have seen from Chris's images & will see from John's. It all takes so much time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job we don't nornally take more than one image every 2 months!!!!!!!   

Mike

Excellent image Fay. Well done.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Excellent one Fay just keep playing with the data you have it, so you could allways re-visit the processing at a later date.

This weekend I'll get the M33 I did process up on the forum including the whole luminance on the image.  I think considering the scope and camera you have your will be just as good as mine, but as you say its now a processing issue.

Fay

I think this is better, taken the brown away.