• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Just a quick heads up................

Started by Daniel, Oct 05, 2008, 18:37:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

...............not sure if you already know this, but despite it looking awful outside right now, tonight promisses to be a really good night for imaging!

:O)

MarkS

Thanks.

It's definitely looking very promising ...

MarkS

I gave up waiting so went to bed.  Did it ever clear?

Daniel

It cleared about 10:30 here so I got a few hours on M33, haven't processed it yet, but the sky was amazingly clear, I forgot just how good winter is for imaging.

MarkS

Rats!  Bed was the wrong decision ...

JohnP

After imagng for about 8 hrs a night for 5 successive nights last week bed was the RIGHT decision....... :-) John

RobertM

John, when do we get to drool over all these wonderful fruits of your labour ?  Also what happened to Fay I thought she went but has been uncharacteristically quiet !  Was she imaging or sun bathing ?

JohnP

Hi Robert,

I'm working on them. Unlike Chris I haven't got the skill to process the day after... :-( takes me ages sorting out colours etc... Hopefully post some up soon with all the details. I did all my imaging through the ZS66 & Atik 16ic - the images I got (in no particular order) are:-

m45 (LRGB) - close up...
Cocoon (LRGB)
Elephant Trunk (Hargb)
m33 - L only (might try & get some colour later from Bromley)
m42 (HaRGB) - not sure how this will come out as I was too tired to do multiple exposures...
ngc6888 (Hagb) - Plan is with this to use the Ha for the R channel. I only did a quickie on this as I was waiting for something else to come up.
HorseHead (Hargb) - Will be interesting to compare with Chris's fantastic image as he only did LRGB
m44 - very quick L only at about 5am in the morning...

The only object I didn't get that was on my 'todo list' was the Helix Neb. I wanted to do this as you can't get it from the UK - Even at Les Granges it's pretty low down but on the night I tried to image it was a bit blowy & I was having all sorts of guiding issues so I gave up in the end.... :-( I think I have one 5min Ha raw which I can post...

cheers,  John

Fay

Robert,

I will be back to normal service when I am up straight. Still worn out but have been having a go at my couple of images. Don't get too excited, leaving a bit of a gap between mine & Chris's so you don't notice the difference in quality!!!!!!! I am not so very good at processing.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Don't worry Fay, I shall be leaving a bigger gap for the same reason also there's the 'super smooth' effect to get over !  Looking forward to the normal service from you guys so that us mortals can compete again ;)

MarkS

Daniel,

I very much looking forward to seeing what you achieve with a Canon on M33 under light polluted skies.  I've been assuming it is only a target for dark skies.

Mark 

Daniel

Hi Mark, I posted this one a while back, was quite suprised how much I could get, hoping to add last nights data to it.

MarkS

Daniel,

That's not at all shabby for light polluted London (compared with Fay's dark skies in France!).

It'll be interesting to see the rest of the data added to it.  It certainly gives me hope to give it a try myself.

Mark

Fay

That is indeed very good Daniel. I will have to put on my bluey one & the mono effort before I started processing rgb.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Looks like perfect framing Daniel, certainly looks like a goer when the nights draw in a bit more.